Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Nostalgia & History > what's under that bulldog face

Date: 06/24/06 17:28
what's under that bulldog face
Author: FT

A bit like a CSI close up of an autopsy. August of '73 the 6432 is either donating a left cheek
to a buddy, or ready to get same after a problem. Seeing how it all fits together under the skin
is interesting. Shot by Forrest Hadley.

Keith A

Date: 06/24/06 17:57
Re: what's under that bulldog face
Author: wmfan3798

Now that would be an interesting modeling project.

Aaron

Date: 06/24/06 18:44
Author: spnudge

Looks like it may have been in a sideswipe. I think its too old to be left from the Coast in 69. Someone should know the number and when it was all done.

Nudge

Date: 06/24/06 19:08
Author: STEVEW4818

Thw 6432 gave the nose up to the 6455 to keep it running in passenger service. So the last S.P. frieght F unit gave to the cause........A unique ending to a unique career. Many of us became close to her as she and the 6349, 6392 and 355 toiled away at the end.

Date: 06/24/06 21:14
Author: FT

STEVEW 4814,

Thanks for the detailed info on what was happening with this unit. Here is a shot the following
year, 9-16-74, with the replaced cheek. I wouldn't have noticed the weld line that starts at the
top and runs down just to the outside of the lifting lug, if you hadn't passed along the info.
As it happens, the same photographer took this view as well.

Keith A

Date: 06/24/06 22:12
Author: n6nvr

Gesundheit! ooof

Date: 06/25/06 00:48
Author: topper

FT Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> August of '73

The photo was taken shortly after SP and the BofLE signed an agreement mandating cab air conditioning.

Or not.

Anyway, KSW explained what's going on, so I'll just add that this is a photo of the unit just before it was delivered to Schnitzer Steel in Oakland for scrapping.

Date: 06/25/06 02:23
Author: Steamjocky

What happened to the mars light? It looks like it's missing.

JDE

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0355 seconds