Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Nostalgia & History > Needing information on a key...

Date: 07/03/06 15:31
Needing information on a key...
Author: eashock

I discovered a key recently, and was wondering if its purpose is what I'm thinking it is...

The key has "PSG" stamped on the head (Pullman Standard Group?), which is octagonal (about 3/4" x 1/2"). Two prongs extend from the head, one is about 1 3/4" long, and is perpindicular to the plane of the head. Right at the tip, it tapers slightly. The second prong is thinner, and extends just over an inch from the head.

I found this key on a key rack at the museum I volunteer at. There are a number of doors on this car (a 50's era N&W coach built by Pullman) that are opened by inserting a thin object (a pencil or common bic pen fit perfectly) into a hole, unlocking the latch. This key also works, but it doesn't the dimensions of the "lock," and the key itself is somewhat flimsy. These doors provide access to supply/broom closets, access panels, etc. Is this key SUPPOSED to be for these doors, or is there some other key that the conductors would use that was more appropriately designed?

Trying to satisfy a curiosity, if not solve a mystery!

-Eric Shock

Date: 07/03/06 16:22
Re: Needing information on a key...
Author: 6088

Any chance of getting a photo posted?

Date: 07/03/06 20:05
Re: Needing information on a key...
Author: spnudge

Pullman keys were a hollow barrel, coach keys were a regular caboose key. A equipment locker used a pencil, or a muddler from the club car.

Nudge

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1232 seconds