Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Nostalgia & History > A WP and SP photo challenge

Date: 08/05/06 13:18
A WP and SP photo challenge
Author: nwptrains

Before there was Fremont California there was Irvington,Niles, Centerville and Warm Springs.

Dose anybody have pictures of the Western Pacific and Southern Pacific depots that werte located in what was once Irvington California? Been able to locate a couple of photos on the web, looking for more. Attached is a photo of the SPs Irvington depot about 1950.

Date: 08/05/06 15:09
Re: A WP and SP photo challenge
Author: NI030

You may have already seen this one on the web, but here is the WP Irvington Depot

Date: 08/05/06 15:13

The WP Irvington depot still survives. It is now located on Mission Blvd in Niles. Here is a shot from last year during the Mission Blvd widening project.

Date: 08/05/06 15:14

And one last shot, an aerial view of the WP and SP depots. The WP is on top with the SP below it.

Date: 08/05/06 18:12
Author: topper

silagi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The WP Irvington depot still survives. It is now
> located on Mission Blvd in Niles.

That's interesting.

Where exactly is it?

Date: 08/05/06 18:22

It is on the east side of Mission Blvd just north of the new NCRY bridge over Mission Blvd.

Date: 08/06/06 06:08
Author: Badd455

There was another Structure in North Fremont where the North end of Fremont Blvd./Alvarado Blvd crosses the SP Mulford line. I think it was a packing shed? If anyone has pictures if it I would sure like to see them. When I was growing up over there we would play in and around it. It was bulldozed to make way for a small strip mall.

Brian

Date: 08/06/06 08:49
Author: JohnSweetser

One can purchase photos of the SP Irvington depot from Bob Morris ("photobob" here on Trainorders) Photography in Dunsmuir. For most of the SP depots he has photos of, views of all four sides of the buildings are available. For ordering info, go to the Bob Morris Photography website and then to the depot listing for the Western Division.

Date: 08/06/06 09:40
Author: roustabout

How about a photo of Snoboy, a station point somewhere in that area. My first employer out of college was Pacific Fruit & Produce, whose brand (and mascot) was Snoboy.

Date: 08/06/06 09:49

I was wondering how Snoboy got that name! Thanks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0466 seconds