Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Nostalgia & History > Highway 99 Musings

Date: 08/21/06 22:48
Highway 99 Musings
Author: africansteam

Having missed the last days of steam on the Southern Pacific’s San Joaquin Valley line, I often wondered as I drove the length of Highway 99 what it must have been like during the days of steam, to have glanced out the car window at a train on the parallel track. In May of 1984, as the World’s Fair Daylight raced south, that question was answered.

Africansteam

Date: 08/22/06 07:10
Re: Highway 99 Musings
Author: Nitehostler

Nicely done Jack!

Tom

Date: 08/22/06 19:18
Re: Highway 99 Musings
Author: ats90mph

Just the wrong shield. Would Have been US 99. Photoshop project anyone? Oh and the Light stanchion is 60's, but I'm sure that can be "fixed" too.

Date: 08/22/06 21:23
Re: Highway 99 - in days of SP steam
Author: Westbound

It's been 50 years ago, so my memory is starting to fade, but back then I was always in the back seat of my parents' car. The 99 was a divided highway, not a freeway, so the highway was 98% next to the SP tracks, not some distance off in places as it is now to allow for frontage roads and overpasses. You always kept your eyes peeled in the distance for that headlight which was the sure sign of a train, even in bright sunlight. And you learned to watch & read the ABS target signals to ascertain approaching a train going in your direction, assuming your dad would drive fast enough to overtake it. When steam passed by, you watched the siderods on the locomotive, the exhaust, the steam shooting out of the chime whistle, and wig-wags as the engine passed over crossings and most importantly - waved to the engineer or fireman who waved back at you!

africansteam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Having missed the last days of steam on the
> Southern Pacific’s San Joaquin Valley line, I
> often wondered as I drove the length of Highway 99
> what it must have been like during the days of
> steam, to have glanced out the car window at a
> train on the parallel track.

Date: 08/23/06 06:02
Re: Highway 99 - today
Author: Steamjocky

What is surprising to me is the number of people that still wave at the train. I always make it a point to wave back. If the highway is on the conductor's side, I make sure that he waves back at them too.

JDE

Date: 08/23/06 17:06
Author: africansteam

Westbound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's been 50 years ago, so my memory is starting
> to fade, but back then I was always in the back
> seat of my parents' car...

Nice remembrance, Westbound.

Thanks,
Africansteam

Date: 08/23/06 19:40
Author: ProAmtrak

No kidding, cool guys, problem with trying to urge your dad to overtake a train Westbound is keeping an eye out for the cops!

Date: 08/24/06 21:08
Author: MojaveBill

Back in those days in the Valley I got to see those trains from the highway AND watch the cars from the train... especially the Daylight and Santa Fe's Golden Gates...

Date: 08/24/06 23:05
Author: n6nvr

Was on a brief spot of 99 today and took the old road into downtown Bakersfield. Brought back some memories. Big Oranges, etc. And then the gradual improvements that sped the trip but eliminated some of the trainwatching. The old undivided highway, and then dividing highway stretches and then the bypasses around the small towns, elimination of grade crossings, etc.

You can still get some good pacing on Sierra Highway between Acton and Mojave.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0374 seconds