Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Nostalgia & History > Once Upon a Time in the San Fernando Valley-Part One of

Date: 08/25/06 21:58
Once Upon a Time in the San Fernando Valley-Part One of
Author: africansteam

In June of 1968 I went to work as a technical illustrator for Teledyne Systems Company, a major supplier of guidance computers and related technology to the Aerospace industry.

The company had just moved from its original facility in Hawthorne, California to a brand new, award winning glass and steel building set down in the middle of one of the last citrus groves in the San Fernando Valley - at the corner of Corbin Avenue and Nordhoff Street in Northridge. My new place of employment had two important things going for it.

First, the land on the south side Nordhoff, directly across from the two story gallery connecting the administration, human resources and graphics wing with the engineering, manufacturing, and test areas and the cafeteria, was undeveloped, and offered a superb view of the SP’s Coast Line. Second, it was a little more than a mile from San Fernando Valley State College, where I would be attending classes. The school and the railroad conspired to create a mystery that would occupy my mind as a student from the first day I walked on campus.

To accommodate my work schedule I took morning classes, and to save money on parking I would leave my car in a residential neighborhood that bordered the north side of the SP tracks 4 blocks south of campus. As I was locking up my car on the first morning of classes the clear distinct tones of a steam locomotive whistle graced my ears. Unfortunately, I couldn’t locate its source, but I assumed that it could only have come from one of the industrial buildings along the tracks west of the school.

The whistle continued to haunt me each morning until the day I arrived on campus early and decided to get breakfast in the small cafeteria that was located on the roof of a building designated Sierra Hall South. It was a chilly morning, and I had just settled into a generous ham and cheese omelet when the sound of the whistle floated across the campus. As it died away, a white plume of steam drifted into the sky above the college steam plant. Following my last class that morning I walked over to the steam plant and there at the top of a pipe rising above the roof of the building was a tall five chime locomotive whistle with a long chain running down from the lever to a point just outside a door to the facility. A quick inquiry with the plant staff solved the mystery.

The maintenance staff used the whistle to announce shift changes at the plant. It belonged to none other than James Cleary, who had just taken over the reins as the school’s president, and it was rumored to be from a Baltimore and Ohio Locomotive. I was never able to verify that it really was from a B&O steam engine, but it was one of the prettiest whistles I have ever heard.

Africansteam

Date: 08/26/06 13:49
Re: Once Upon a Time in the San Fernando Valley-Part On
Author: MacBeau

A nice tale, and well told too. Thanks for the good read,
—Mac

Date: 08/26/06 16:11
Author: nycman

Mac, my home town in upstate NY had a "fire whistle" mounted on top of the hose drying tower at the local Fire Dept. All around town were alarm boxes. I someone spotted a fire, they had to break the glass in the alarm box (hammer provided) and the whistle would blow a three digit code for whatever box turned in the alarm. The firefighters then knew where to head, as did all the citizens. The codes were published in the local newspaper. It sounded just like a New York Central train, except for the code. Good old days.

Date: 08/28/06 16:35
Author: CPRR

africansteam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In June of 1968 I went to work as a technical
> illustrator for Teledyne Systems Company, a major
> supplier of guidance computers and related
> technology to the Aerospace industry.
>
> The company had just moved from its original
> facility in Hawthorne, California to a brand new,
> award winning glass and steel building set down in
> the middle of one of the last citrus groves in the
> San Fernando Valley - at the corner of Corbin
> Avenue and Nordhoff Street in Northridge. My new
> place of employment had two important things going
> for it.

The building site has been bulldozed, and there is a new Loews building supply on 1/4 of the lot. I have not found out what is happening to the rest.

> The maintenance staff used the whistle to announce
> shift changes at the plant. It belonged to none
> other than James Cleary, who had just taken over
> the reins as the school’s president, and it was
> rumored to be from a Baltimore and Ohio
> Locomotive. I was never able to verify that it
> really was from a B&O steam engine, but it was one
> of the prettiest whistles I have ever heard.

> Africansteam

I work at CSUN and the steam plant whistle is no more. I am trying to varify your story about Cleary. I have been told it has been given to an employee, and will relay here what happened to it.

Date: 08/28/06 19:30
Author: africansteam

CPRR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The building site has been bulldozed, and there is
> a new Loews building supply on 1/4 of the lot. I
> have not found out what is happening to the rest.

The Lowes occupies the former site of the main building which was known as plant 25, and the front parking lots. When the plant was in operation the balance of the property was given over to the two rear parking lots and small grapefruit groves. Retaining the latter qualified Teledyne for an agricultural tax exemption on the property.
>
>
> I work at CSUN and the steam plant whistle is no
> more. I am trying to varify your story about
> Cleary. I have been told it has been given to an
> employee, and will relay here what happened to it.

Looking forward to what you can find out.

Thanks,
Africansteam

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.05 seconds