Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Nostalgia & History > Former Rivals Cross Paths American Airlines DC-3 and UP

Date: 09/08/06 20:03
Former Rivals Cross Paths American Airlines DC-3 and UP
Author: cozephyr

Union Pacific's home for the Heritage Fleet (i.e. UP 844 and E-units 949 & 951) have a guest in town built in 1937! The Flagship Detroit Foundation DC-3 N17334 is part of the Cheyenne Air National Guard 60th Anniversary being held on the north side of Cheyenne Airport. The open house will be Saturday, September 9, 2006 between 1:00 PM and 5:00 PM.

The Flagship Detroit was the 34th DC-3 named to American Airlines' 82 airplane fleet that operated between 1937 and 1947. The plane has operated as a corporate airplane, it carried freight, was used as an agricultural sprayer and was a drug runner. It flew in American Airlines scheme at the Fort Lauderdale's annual Air & Sea Show along with an American Airlines 767 during a fly by.

Cheyenne Air National Guard C-130 and Flagship Detroit Foundation DC-3 N17334 ready for Air National Guard 60th Anniversary at Cheyenne Airport, National Guard side, September 8, 2006. I hope the weather improves on Saturday.

Close-up shows well done restoration at American Airlines Alliance maintenance base just to the northwest of Dallas-Fort Worth Airport, Texas. Plane has flown across the Denver Metro area in August and up to Gillette, WY, last week.

A happy visitor tried out the DC-3's pilot's seat Sept. 8th. In window on hangar can be seen "Wyoming Air Guard." More info at FlagshipDetroit.org.

Date: 09/08/06 22:10
Re: Former Rivals Cross Paths American Airlines DC-3 an
Author: Nitehostler

Nothing wrong with an aircraft photo here as far as I'm concerned...like the old "Gooney Bird" but don't have fond memories of a C-130, they were noisy inside. Thanks for the nice photos.

Tom

Date: 09/09/06 04:36
Author: 4-12-2

Beautiful restoration of a classic airplane!

Try a C-97 from eastern Iowa to Mather AFB near Sacramento sometime, Tom!

John

Date: 09/09/06 16:48
Author: engine3420

Nitehostler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nothing wrong with an azircraft photo here as far
> as I'm concerned...like the old "Gooney Bird" but
> don't have fond memories of a C-130, they were
> noisy inside. Thanks for the nice photos.
>
> Tom
Well Tom.....You haven't been beat-up until you ride an old "shakey" (C-124)

Date: 09/09/06 18:54
Author: Edwardjb

I rode a "Shakey" from Travis to Clark in 1965. Took four days at 8 thousand feet with no pressurization (or conditioned air). Is there still a C-124 on display in Vegas?

Ed

Date: 09/09/06 20:47
Author: engine3420

Edwardjb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I rode a "Shakey" from Travis to Clark in 1965.
> Took four days at 8 thousand feet with no
> pressurization (or conditioned air). Is there
> still a C-124 on display in Vegas?
>
> Ed
I think there is one displayed at Hill AFB, Utah.

Date: 09/10/06 15:06
Author: SteveD

A DC3 at Cheyenne? Hey that's what I flew from Denver the summer I traveled from OC for a summer of employment on U.P., but it was a Frontier aircraft..pretty cool sequence of planes I rode in all to get there but won't elaborate in this post.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0473 seconds