Home Open Account Help 230 users online

Nostalgia & History > Office picture questions...

Date: 09/25/06 19:58
Office picture questions...
Author: myoungwisc

All,

I have the following pictures hanging in my office. They were given to me after hanging in a leasing office for many years. Any ideas where they might have been taken and by whom? The NW steam shot looks like a classic O. Winston Link shot but the other is harder to figure out. Thanks for any help.

Martin

Date: 09/25/06 20:01
Night Shot is a Link Photo
Author: aehouse

The night shot is indeed a Link photo, taken in Luray, Va., in 1956. By an odd coincidence, it appears as the illustration accompanying a piece of fiction in this week's New Yorker magazine.

Art House

Date: 09/25/06 20:02
Re: Office picture questions...
Author: spnudge

The second looks like something from O. Winston Link, I believe. Back east, NW ?

The first, maybe SF? Id say SP but the headlight is wrong. The round under belly of the tender and refers say maybe even UP.

Nudge

Date: 09/25/06 20:05
Author: stevelv

Yes, the second is a O. W. Link shot. Seen it many times. That first one though looks like a western classic. Someone on here should be able to identify it.

Date: 09/25/06 20:08
Author: RNinRVR

That top shot is hanging in a Chile's here in Richmond, VA. I have gotten very close to it. My guess is a solid block of refers coming out of the central valley of California with a Challenger on the point.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 09/25/06 20:18
Author: Edwardjb

Maybe someone here can help me. I have several large O. Winston Link prints that I bought from the Roanoke Chapter, NRHS, back in 1989. How should they be framed? Black frame, white matte? How are they framed back in Virginia at various galleries, locations?

Ed

Date: 09/25/06 20:21
Author: SCAX3401

Almost positive the first picture is a Union Pacific Challenger or Big Boy highballing across Wyoming.

Date: 09/25/06 20:22
Author: Nitehostler

I think the first photo is of a UP 2-8-8-0 in Eastern OR or possibly Idaho. I have seen it before, but cannot remember all the
particulars, but it is UP.

Tom

Date: 09/25/06 20:57
Author: x6924w

First one looks a lot like Bancroft, ID eastbound from Pocatello along US 30.

Date: 09/25/06 21:12
Author: SPSF_luvr

The first photo was taken by a man by the name of Elliott Erwitt, in rural Wyoming, sometime in the year of 1954.

SPSF_luvr

Date: 09/25/06 21:16
Author: SPSF_luvr

Hey.. look at my night light!
It's Foamer-Rific!

Yes... It has lights in the lamp and on the engine, really cool.
I luv to stay up and dream about what it would be like to run one of those beasts!!!

SPSF_luvr

Date: 09/25/06 21:43
Author: stivmac

Edwardjb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe someone here can help me. I have several
> large O. Winston Link prints that I bought from
> the Roanoke Chapter, NRHS, back in 1989. How
> should they be framed? Black frame, white matte?
> How are they framed back in Virginia at various
> galleries, locations?
>
> Ed

It depends on the pic and your tastes. Go to a decent frame shop and have them show you possibilities. San Diego's RR museum had a nice exhibition of Link's photos a few years ago and if I recall, most were white matte and simple black frames. Most of the night shots stand out better (to me) w/black matting. A Real dark navy blue might also be an option. Be sure they use high quality acid free matting!

Date: 09/26/06 06:29
Author: tomstp

The first shot is a UP early challenger. Look close and you will see the trailing truck.

Date: 09/26/06 09:52
Author: Frisco1522

I've seen this for sale in stores and it has a headlight lit on the engine and the car's headlights are burning. Like to be in that car watching the show.

Date: 09/26/06 10:01
Author: prr4828

Another spotting feature is the headlight. The Otto Jablemann-styled 3900's (Challengers) and 4000's (Big Boys) for that matter carried their headlights a platform on the front engine. I think I can see "UP" spelled out on the tender.

I concur with tomsp, that this train was pulled by an early Challenger (built in 1936 or 1937).

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The first shot is a UP early challenger. Look
> close and you will see the trailing truck.

Date: 09/26/06 10:22
Author: Nitehostler

Appreciate all the help from the UP experts here, thanks. My recollection was a ways off.

Tom

Date: 09/26/06 14:27
Author: genevasub

The top photo is by Elliot Erwitt as a previous postser said. Most framed art stores such as the ones in malls can order it for you and in different sizes too. Another note on this photo is that is displayed in all Red Robin hamburger retaurants--that's where I first saw it.

Date: 09/26/06 18:48
Author: jimB

Elliot Erwitt was a well known Life Magazine photographer, at the time when they had a staff of excellent photographers. I met once when I was a kid and he was on vacation in Puerto Rico.

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0619 seconds