Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Nostalgia & History > Inside the Appekunny Mountain

Date: 10/07/06 06:10
Inside the Appekunny Mountain
Author: graybeard1942

This car was built in 1950 by American Car and Foundry and put into service as observation car #1290 for the Great Northern Railway. It is currently operated by the California Northern Railroad as business car #100 and is based in Napa CA. These photos were taken near Orland CA on October 6, 2006 as the car was being prepared for a Customer Appreciation Day on the West Valley Sub of the CFNR. (This line is the former Southern Pacific West Valley Sub and was the original route of the Coast Starlight from Klamath Falls to Davis.)

Date: 10/07/06 06:13
Re: Inside the Appekunny Mountain
Author: graybeard1942

At one point in time, the Appekunny Mountain was painted in Daylight colors and toured the country. Several photos from that era line the interior walls.

Date: 10/07/06 07:26
Author: Chief409

Perhaps the Coast Starlight should go back on the original route. I'm sure there would be less conflicting traffic that way, the short lines would like the money, and the assist in upgrading the lines.

Chief409

Date: 10/07/06 10:44
Author: norm1153

....except for the fact that the West Valley Route misses Sacramento.

Date: 10/07/06 11:37
Author: spnudge

Too bad its missing all the origional chairs. Aluminum framed and comfortable. And no heavy ashtrays, drink holders?

Nudge

Date: 10/07/06 14:38
Author: Steamjocky

spnudge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Too bad its missing all the origional chairs.
> Aluminum framed and comfortable. And no heavy
> ashtrays, drink holders?
>
>
> Nudge

I was thinking the exact same thing. I even have one of those heavy ashtrays I'd loan them just to make the interior look a little better.

JDE

Date: 10/07/06 22:08
Author: westcoaster

norm1153 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ....except for the fact that the West Valley Route
> misses Sacramento.

Connections to Sacramento would be available on the Capital Corridors in Davis, at least for #11. The folks in Chico would be out of luck, however.

Date: 10/08/06 02:56
Author: norm1153

Connection to Sacramento: Oh, they'd probably put in a bus transfer so there'd be no waiting for a Capital. But still, so near and yet so far. What is it, 11 miles I think?

Date: 10/09/06 12:25
Author: spnudge

I have an ashtray with the sunset herald in the base, but no drink holders. Just the ashtray on the top and the match holder. Would have loved to find the stainless holders.

Nudge

Date: 10/10/06 21:31
Author: SteveD

A bunch of pix of this car occupied by CofC types may be found on the CrossValley Upgrade Dedication page of the Hanford City website.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.087 seconds