Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Nostalgia & History > NP Madison River - another location & era ?

Date: 10/09/06 14:46
NP Madison River - another location & era ?
Author: rswebber

No data on this photo at all - if anyone has idea in terms of location and era, I'd love to hear it!

Date: 10/09/06 16:38
Re: NP Madison River - another location & era ?
Author: jcnienow

Well with the Loewy paint,that means after 1953. By the weathering of the paint on the car,
and the fact that the car is shown in a copyrighted photo on Trainweb taken by Jerry Appleman in 1965, at that time, looking very pristine, that this is after the BN merger in 1970, and the car is awaiting disposition. I do not think that this is in St. Paul. I just looked in Volume 9 number 4 page 14 of the "Mainstreeter" NPHA Magazine in an article by Lorenz P. Schrenk which states that Second Car Number 2 "Madison River" was one of five NP business cars to go into the BN merger in March of 1970. It had been used on the west end of the NP, and was subsequently sold to Fran Culp and was being used as of 1990, on the Lake Washington Railway at Wickersham, Washington (now the Lake Whatcom Railway). The Lake Whatcom website does not mention the business car at this time, nor do photos show it. The car was used by C.E. Denny of the Northern Pacific during his Presidency due to the fact that the real NP Presidential PV was not known to be a good riding car.

Date: 10/12/06 16:10
Re: NP Madison River - another location & era ?
Author: czephyr17

Judging from the station canopy in the background, I am guessing the location is Seattle King Street Station, which was HQ for NP's Western District. It could also be Portland I suppose.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0431 seconds