Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Nostalgia & History > Where is/was this ?

Date: 10/11/06 22:00
Where is/was this ?
Author: xtra1188w

Bonus points if you can identify the railroad that ran thru this community.

Con

Date: 10/12/06 03:39
Re: Where is/was this ?
Author: ED3

Basalt,Colorado;Colorado Midland

Date: 10/12/06 10:16
Author: BobV

Doyle, CA WP

Date: 10/12/06 10:19
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

looks like Glendora or Azusa.. Santa Fe, SP or PE ran thru the town

Date: 10/12/06 12:42
Author: kevink

I will also go with Basalt, CO and the Colorado Midland.

I got my very first barbershop haircut in Basalt while on a family vacation in the mid-70's. We used the campground at Ruedi Reservoir as a base for exploring the area around Aspen. It was at the barbershop that we were told that the road up the Frying Pan River had once been the Colorado Midland.

Prior to this, all my haircuts had been at home with my dad wielding a Sears electic trimmer. Never went back to him after I had the experience with a real barber!

Date: 10/12/06 14:38
Author: SP7615

I'm guessing Fredericksburg, Texas stop on the SP Kerrville Branch?

SP7615

Date: 10/12/06 15:44
Author: MTMEngineer

ED3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Basalt,Colorado;Colorado Midland

Absolutely right, no room for error.

Compare with this uncredited pix from p. 60 of Mel McFarland's "The Midland Route"

Date: 10/12/06 16:39
Follow-up question
Author: MTMEngineer

Why do you think there would be a stock car parked on top of the coaling trestle????

:-)

Date: 10/12/06 17:58
Re: Follow-up question
Author: rswebber

I actually have that photo and negative.

They have the stock car there as it was loaded with coal. As they often were. Stock caqrs were often used for coal and more often for coke delivery.

Date: 10/12/06 21:17

I should mention too - on the Mariott archive site, in the Shipler archives, there is a great photo of coal being unloaded from a D&RGW box car - from the nominal "lumber door" in the end. The car is being lifted on end on an obviously made for just such a situation device - the car is shunted onto a piece of track, the car is somehow fixed to the track, and then the track is tilted to almost 90 degrees - and the coal is unloaded. Other photos show stock cars loaded with coal and tons of GS gons loaded. It's a fascinating site for those interested in early 20th century UP/D&RGW/UTAH coal operations in Utah.
You can get to the archives via:
http://www.lib.utah.edu/digital/

Here is the specific photo of the unloader - different a little than I recalled - but the gist is the same:
http://content.lib.utah.edu/u?/USHS_Shipler,5968
and for loading:
http://content.lib.utah.edu/u?/USHS_Shipler,6081

And the photos are not limited to coal - Shipler was a commercial photographer in Salt Lake City and the archive is jammed with wonderful photos of life in Utah - buses, cars, deliveries, buildings, construction, trains, etc.

Date: 10/12/06 21:59

rswebber Wrote:
> I actually have that photo and negative.
>
> They have the stock car there as it was loaded
> with coal. As they often were. Stock caqrs were
> often used for coal and more often for coke
> delivery.

You have a similar negative. I scanned this picture from a negative that was taken by my Dad. He had taken a short trip up that way in 1938. Pop worked an extra board job as a telegrapher at Funston in October 1938.

I didn't think that this picture would be identified so quickly and so much. I reckon that I shouldn't be surprised though, after this is Traimorders.com where there is such a wealth of info from a lot of very well informed folks.

Con

Date: 10/12/06 22:26

Con, I believe it is the exact same one - and I believe it is a negative made from a print - though I make that distinction after your statement.

The print isn't as sharp as it should be, and I got it along with the negative at a swap meet - with no real identification. It's one reason I really am leery of running anything I am not sure of {the origin]. I'll put the photographer information & copyright on the print & neg envelope, thank you for identifying it for me - I'd much rather it be identified than not.

If I hold the two up the scene is identical, the back says " Basalt, 1895 between Glenwood & Aspen" in a cursive script. But the smoke from the chimney of the 2 story building to the rear is identical. All equipment locations are the same, perspective, etc. So, I'd have to expect it to be a copy of a copy (perhaps of a copy).

Again, thanks for the identification.

Date: 10/13/06 07:59
Author: Waybiller

Con,
I believe Mr. Webber is talking about the photo of Basalt that was posted by MTMEngineer, which shows the CM still active. And, if I can keep assuming, I think you're talking about the one your dad took in the mid 1930s.

Your dad was quite the remarkable photographer, by the way. That one you posted of Basalt is really enjoyable.

SLM

Date: 10/13/06 20:18

Waybiller Wrote:
> Con,
> I believe Mr. Webber is talking about the photo of
> Basalt that was posted by MTMEngineer, which shows
> the CM still active. And, if I can keep assuming,
> I think you're talking about the one your dad took
> in the mid 1930s.
>
> Your dad was quite the remarkable photographer, by
> the way. That one you posted of Basalt is really
> enjoyable.
>
> SLM

Yessir, I think that you're correct. I am a tad slow sometimes, I got to thinking about this after I hung it up for the night last night, and it came to me that I had probably mistaken what picture Robert was refering to. Ohwell, no harm, no foul, I hope?

Thanks for your remarks about my Dad's pictures, I really enjoying seeing what Dad left behind with his pictures, but then I am predjuced.

Con

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0795 seconds