Nostalgia & History > Neon in the town of Tehachapi

Date: 10/12/06 16:28
Neon in the town of Tehachapi
Author: scottp

Just a year or two ago, but still "Nostalgia & History"

Date: 10/12/06 18:58
Re: Neon in the town of Tehachapi
Author: SOB

I'd like to have a dime for every cup of coffee that I had in Kelcy's with Keith Drinnon, Ron Pettit, Don Lowell, Terry Givens, Del Green and Bob Baker! Great pictures on the walls and good people running the place!

SOB

Date: 10/12/06 21:31
Author: stevelv

I have had breakfast at Kelcy's many times, love it. I stayed at the Santa Fe once in the mid 90's on a warm summer night. No AC, windows open. There were at least 10 to 12 trains between 1 and 4 AM. Many had those loud ATSF Superfleet horns. No too much sleep that night. Always have managed to scrape up enough for Travel Lodge or Best Western ever since that night.
Steve B.

Date: 10/13/06 23:59
Author: sploopconductor

A few years back... headed east up the mountain... "WR 54 (MRC) to Larry". I replied with "Go ahead, your excellency"... MRC: "There is a real mess going on down in Mojave, would you like to have breakfast at Kelcy's?" "Sure, Mike!" (food first, trains second) He then said..."Take your time, you'll have at least an hour and a half, but keep your pack-set on. And, BTW, check in at the hobby shop and see if there's anything new I should know about." With that, I bailed off. My Engineer wasn't hungry even though I said I would treat. He stayed on the engine. I went over to Kelcy's and got settled, grabbed a newspaper, and ordered. About 15 minutes later my meal was delivered, a nice pile of pancakes and all the rest. All was well... for about 3 bites! My pack-set came alive with: "WR 54 to the "Kelcy's" Conductor, come in Larry." "Go ahead, Mike", I replied. "Welllllll, it's this way,(a long "MRC" pause)... things have cleared up in Mojave, and I need you to start moving, are you back on the train?" "Mike, I just got my food... you said an hour and a half." "Can you get it 'to-go' and get right over to your train?" "Yes, 'great one'... do you still want me to check out the train shop for you?" "No, I'll just have to wait until next time, I'll sacrifice, thanks anyway." I ran back across Tehachapi Blvd., and we got underway.

For the next several weeks, if the timing was right, and he was working, I'd ask if I could stop the train "and finish my breakfast at Kelcy's and check out the hobby shop for you." And, Mike's answer was always... "NO!"

Oh well, got to get along with the "Supreme One"!

Take Care, Stay Safe, Have Fun!

Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.045 seconds