Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Nostalgia & History > Chapter 13 Relief Telegrapher Shoshone and Glenwood

Date: 11/04/06 17:48
Chapter 13 Relief Telegrapher Shoshone and Glenwood
Author: flynn

Chapter 13 Relief Telegrapher Shoshone and Glenwood Springs Tuesday, January 3rd, 1922 to Saturday, March 11th, 1922
I have added to my web site, http://users.acsol.net/~flynn , pages 603 to 646 of my Dad’s Diary which I have labeled as Chapter 13. Shoshone was the D&RGW train station in the Glenwood Canyon about 10 miles or so east of Glenwood Springs, Colorado. If you do a Google search for the Denver Public Library and on the Google results click on Photography Collection - Western History/Genealogy you will go to a page labeled Photography Collection. If on this page you click on Search you will go to a second page. On this second page click on Continue and you will go to a search page. If you enter Glenwood Canyon as a Keyword and do a search you will obtain 47 pages of 465 photos. The photos are arranged from the most recent to earlier dates. If you click on the blue or red colored title of a particular photo you will obtain information on the photo. If you click on the photo itself you will obtain an enlarged photo. If you do a search for Shoshone you obtain 30 pages of 297 photos. These 297 photos include photos on subjects such as Shoshone Indians. If you do a search for Shoshone Railroad you obtain 9 pages of 81 photos. About 1908 a dam was constructed on the Colorado River about a mile just west of the Shoshone depot. Some of the water from the Colorado River was diverted at the Shoshone Dam west through a two mile long tunnel that was dug in the north wall of the canyon [the canyon side opposite from the railroad] to the Shoshone Powerplant. If you do a keyword search of Shoshone Dam on the Denver Public Library web site you will get 4 pages of 38 photos. If you do a keyword search of Shoshone Powerplant you get 3 pages of 27 photos. If you do a call number search for GB-6399 you get a picture in which you can see the railroad tunnel and a portion of the dam at Shoshone. As I have said before the dam and tunnel were about a mile from the Shoshone Depot. My Dad says on diary page 612, Monday, January 23rd, 1922 to Tuesday, January 31, 1922 (continued). “The weather changes for the worse. A real big snow storm and real cold weather. Newman and I plan on going through the tunnel at the dam. But he gets cold feet. So Jack goes in with the crowd on Sunday evening January 29th. A swell scene. Stayed in tunnel until 1:30 am Monday, January 30th. A gentleman from Dotsero pays a visit to Kilgore’s. (Fannie’s Husband). A great deal of sport each and every even teasing the “kids”. The end of January and Frances still in Rifle. So much good for “Jack”. Page 613, “January ends with Jack at Shoshone. All well at home. 18 inches of snow and below zero weather every morning”. Since the construction of Highway I-70 through the Glenwood Canyon it is not possible to see directly from Highway I-70 where the Shoshone station was located. In order to see the Shoshone railroad station area you must be going east and exit I-70 at the Hanging Lake Rest Area Exit which is just before you enter the Hanging Lake Tunnels. The exit goes on a bridge under Highway I-70 and on to the Hanging Lake Rest Area. From the rest area you can see the Shoshone railroad station area across the river. Peregrin at http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,984240,984551#msg-984551 has a very nice picture of this interchange. I want to thank DRGW and Peregrin for helping me locate this picture. Yardmaster sent me a web site address that has a map of the Glenwood Canyon, many pictures of Highway I-70 through the Glenwood Canyon and a history of the Glenwood Canyon and a history of the construction of Highway I-70 through the canyon http://www.mesalek.com/colo/glenwood/index.html . I want to thank Yardmaster for this web site address.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.044 seconds