Home Open Account Help 190 users online

Nostalgia & History > Marion Memories (Ohio)

Date: 11/14/06 04:12
Marion Memories (Ohio)
Author: CNW8531

Here's a few shots of some of the action at Marion, Ohio, from the early eighties. All the photo's are taken from right around the depot area. I haven't had the chance to return there since, and though it has no doubt changed, I imagine it's still a darn good train watching spot. Someday, when I retire and strike it rich, I'm gonna return to all these spots and spend a little more time. What will the trains look like then I wonder? Anyway, here's how they looked back in 1981.

Date: 11/14/06 06:43
Re: Marion Memories (Ohio)
Author: Gateway97

with all the power on that NW hopper train I wonder if that is an ore train for Detroit Steel in Portsmouth? They would often run those with a gaggle of four axle power. He is definitely E/B which would be the correct direction. Thanks for the photos!

Date: 11/14/06 07:16
Author: Gateway97

That ol' EL 7478 must have inhabited Marion for many years. I have an old 126 color print I took of her just east of Marion in 1978 headed toward Galion on a short local or transfer. At that time she still had her beehive spark arrestors up top. We were coming back from Cedar Point at the time and she met a short westbound right in front of us at the crossing with 3 C425's up front.

Date: 11/14/06 21:18
Author: GP30Frank

RJ -
You know I like GP30's and I know these units were set up to run long hood forward, BUT leading a road train with a GP30 this way is kinda ugly.

Date: 11/15/06 06:02
Author: CNW8531

GP30Frank Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> RJ -
> You know I like GP30's and I know these units
> were set up to run long hood forward, BUT leading
> a road train with a GP30 this way is kinda ugly.

Yes, it does take a little getting use to.

Date: 11/15/06 15:32
Author: MILW86A

Nice shots Angus as usual. AOH and I were there in 1991 and 1993, and I went thru there in 1996. Not the same as it was back in 1981, but still plenty of action. Check out the depot museum and the restored AC tower.

Oh yeah, Im heading to your home away from home, Mo Valley on Thursday night.

MILW86A

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0578 seconds