Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Nostalgia & History > 4449 in Ontario, Ca. 1984

Date: 11/28/06 08:22
4449 in Ontario, Ca. 1984
Author: srlerxst

I took this (not so great) photo of 4449 at Mountain Ave. overpass the morning the train left LA for the 1984 World's Fair in New Orleans. My Mom let me miss a half day of school to watch this historic run of 4449 which was a monumental event for me, and was the first time I saw a real steam locomotive run on a mainline other than in an amusement park. I always thought the engineer was waving at me. Was that Doyle McCormack running the engine that day?

Steam Engine thunders once again -

By Josie Garza
The Daily Report
Wednesday, May 16, 1984

Crowds of people young and old gathered along the train tracks in Ontario and Montclair to catch a glimpse of the historic Southern Pacific steam locomotive No.4449, as it passed through the West Valley on Tuesday. The locomotive was making its way to the World's Exposition in New Orleans.

To the older folks it was a "sentimental journey" back to the days when the locomotive was king. To youngsters it was special first-time experience. Approximately 50 persons stood along the tracks from Euclid Avenue to Street in Ontario to see the retired locomotive pull the Daylight Special on its way to the World's Expo in New Orleans.

Another crowd waited in Colton to see the locomotive which also pulled the American Freedom Train across the country during the American Bicentennial. Many train lovers recorded the occasion with cameras (albeit lame ones like mine!) and video tape recorders.

Upland resident Ed Gronek and his wife, Pat saw the train steam past the intersection of Campus Avenue and Emporia Street in Ontario. "Its a sentimental journey for me after working on it. I just retired after 41 years with Southern Pacific", said Ed Gronek.

The retiree said he used to be the passenger agent for the Noon Daylight train in 1946-47. "That's all they used have. They were fantastic. Every kid was nuts about trains when we were kids. Just to hear them blow the whistle was something else", he recalled.

Pat Gronek said steam locomotives are very special to her. "My Uncle used to be an engineer on the New York Central in Upstate New York. They're very special with the big black engine with steam coming out", she said.

Ontario resident Howard Eader took photographs of the locomotive. "This was kind of a sentimental thing for me too. I used ride the train", explained the former owner Eader's Bakery in Ontario which burned down last year. Lynn Merril of Upland turned out for the occasion "because I'm a heck of train nut and I love see the history he said. Merrill's book "Son's of a Native Son" features poetry about trains.

The only operational steam locomotive of its type, the engine was donated by Southern Pacific to the city of Portland, Oregon in 1958. It left Portland for this journey on May 5th. The locomotive is expected to arrive in New Orleans June 2. Before arriving there, No. 4449 will pass through Yuma, Phoenix, El Paso, Houston, Dallas and Lafayette. "It's one of the largest and and most popular steam locomotives", said Tony Adams, a spokesman for Southern Pacific.

One way tickets to Indio were available for $35.

Date: 11/28/06 08:24
Re: 4449 in Ontario, Ca. 1984
Author: srlerxst

srlerxst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One way tickets to Indio were available for $35.

Yeah Ben, ("SkinDog") that's your cue - take it from here!

Date: 11/28/06 16:39
Author: mario_puzo

What a nice article to read; especially for the younguns on this board, like me. Thank you very much for posting :]

-Jarrett

Date: 11/28/06 18:53
Author: skindog

Yes I rode this train. That was the first real train I rode on. not some amusment park/Disneyland train ride. Also my first venture into railroad photography. I used my Argus c-3 35mm my Granny gave me. My Dad and I had a great day.
Ben (skindog)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds