Home Open Account Help 181 users online

Nostalgia & History > Southern Geeps and Kudzu

Date: 12/19/06 04:07
Southern Geeps and Kudzu
Author: CNW8531

Here's a trio of Southern Railway high nose little geeps (189-194-192) going northward through Lynchburg, Virginia in October of 1981.

Date: 12/19/06 06:55
Re: Southern Geeps and Kudzu
Author: Phil

Kudzu is the scourge of the South. Once it starts growing it takes over everything in its path!
I've taken several track car trips in the South and saw tons or, should I say, miles of Kudzu. Cool pics of some clean Southern geeps.

Phil

Date: 12/19/06 08:51
Author: SP6190

And running backward too. All three are ex-NS (original) GP18’s that the Southern added the high hood to when they took over.

Date: 12/19/06 11:30
Author: eashock

If you're interested in Kudzu, y'all feel free to come down sometime, and take a few bits back with ya! :)

-Eric
Salisbury, NC

Date: 12/19/06 12:11

eashock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you're interested in Kudzu, y'all feel free to
> come down sometime, and take a few bits back with
> ya! :)
>
> -Eric
> Salisbury, NC

Provided of course you can cut or pull the stuff out of the ground!

Date: 12/19/06 14:40
Author: GP30Frank

Phil Wrote:
> Kudzu is the scourge of the South. Once it starts
> growing it takes over everything in its path!
> I've taken several track car trips in the South
> and saw tons or, should I say, miles of Kudzu.
> Cool pics of some clean Southern geeps.
>
> Phil

I remember seeing a old Southern boxcar, sitting in a short siding, in North Carolina, back in the late 70's, and kudzu had taken over 3/4 ths of it. Tough stuff!

Frank, in Tennessee

Date: 12/19/06 20:45
Author: NS-33

Nice pics. I remember seeing them running. Ah memories! As for the kudzu, try Crossbow, it works real good. C.B.

Date: 12/20/06 00:40
Author: SRSD45

Nice pictures. Where in Lynchburg those pictures is taken? Durmid? Earl

Date: 12/20/06 01:34
Author: CNW8531

SRSD45 Wrote:
> Nice pictures. Where in Lynchburg those pictures
> is taken? Durmid? Earl

I'm not really quite sure myself. I was not familiar with the town at all, and it seemed like there were tracks all over the place in all directions. I figured I'd just sit along the Southern mainline and let the action come to me. I do know I had to park the car and hike a bit to get to this spot. Though I'm not certain, but this may be a transfer run from one yard in town to another. I thought about scouting the town out at first, but everytime I try that I just end up missing all the action. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I've only been to Lynchburg twice and this was my first visit.

Date: 12/20/06 09:43

NS-33 Wrote:
As for the kudzu, try Crossbow, it works
> real good. C.B.

Crossbow must be sme pretty mean stuff to kill kudzu. Lots of weedkill won't work on kudzu.

Date: 12/20/06 20:02
Author: NS-33

I've used it several times and it does work. Poison ivy,kudzu,clover,briars of different types,ect.. BE CAREFUL of your drift if there is a breeze or your wife will give you h-ll for killing yard flowers and trees. C.B.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0514 seconds