Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Nostalgia & History > Horseshoe

Date: 01/17/07 09:41
Horseshoe
Author: CNW8531

No trip out east is really complete without a visit to Horseshoe curve. Here's the famous spot in October of 1980. I miss the Conrail and all those blue units.

Date: 01/17/07 13:17
Re: Horseshoe
Author: trax

CNW8531 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No trip out east is really complete without a
> visit to Horseshoe curve. Here's the famous spot
> in October of 1980. I miss the Conrail and all
> those blue units.

You have that right!

Here's a shot from the same spot at a lower angle 10 years and one month earlier. Date: September of 1970. I can't say I really miss Penn Central, it's black units and mating worms, but it was a good time to be out on the railroad.

Date: 01/17/07 14:50

Actually, I'm one of the few people that enjoyed the Penn Central. I had no problem at all with their black paint and mating worms logo. My first trip to the Conrail (or anywhere east of Chicago for that matter) was in June of 1976, so I just missed out on seeing the actual PC itself. I did see alot of their power, however, along with a good sampling of the other roads that made up Conrail. Valparaiso and Chesterton, Indiana were favorite haunts for me back in the late seventies. Oh, what I wouldn't give to return to those days once again with the camera and lenses I now possess!

Date: 01/17/07 15:24
Author: FT

I can't go back a full 10 years from the PC shot, just Aug. of '64, to the standard RR of the
world, PRR. Four geeps grind up grade. Was the signal bridge still there when the other
two shots were taken?

Keith A

Date: 01/17/07 16:12
Author: trax

FT Wrote:
> I can't go back a full 10 years from the PC shot,
> just Aug. of '64, to the standard RR of the
> world, PRR. Four geeps grind up grade. Was the
> signal bridge still there when the other
> two shots were taken?
>
> Keith A

Yes, the signal bridge was still there in 1970. Same train, different angle.

While we're having a horseshoe party, we might as well include a pair of Alco helpers drifting down grade.

To CNW8531: I didn't mean to imply that I didn't like Penn Central. I grew up around the New York Central, Erie Lackawanna and, to a lesser extent, the Pennsy and had high hopes when the PC was created. It was really sad to see those hopes dashed. But, in 1970 it was great to railfan the predecessor lines and discover interesting power assignments, etc. In fact, when an ex-PC GP-38 leaser showed up on the Central Oregon & Pacific in Medford, OR in 1995, it was a way cool to discover the mating worms under the black paint and line up a shot with light just barely reflecting off the PC logo. Hmmm, maybe I do kind of miss the Penn Central.

Date: 01/17/07 17:26

FT Wrote:
> I can't go back a full 10 years from the PC shot,
> just Aug. of '64, to the standard RR of the
> world, PRR. Four geeps grind up grade. Was the
> signal bridge still there when the other
> two shots were taken?
>
> Keith A

The signal bridge was still there in 1980, but I don't know about now. Nice shots from the curve, the geeps and Alco's and all. The Pennsy must have been quite a railroad. Too bad I missed it entirely, but was only 10 years old when it merged with the Central in '68. Two great, proud companies were lost that day. They live on in spirit though!

Date: 01/17/07 20:08
Author: RuleG

CNW8531 Wrote:
> No trip out east is really complete without a
> visit to Horseshoe curve. Here's the famous spot
> in October of 1980. I miss the Conrail and all
> those blue units.

Its not just the blue units that are gone. Its also the EL hoppers on the train, the fourth track and the ability to take photos from that vantage point that are all gone.

I've been going to the Curve since 1972. As my mother lives in State College, just around 50 miles from the Curve, it is easy for me to stop over on my trips to and from Pittsburgh. Even though it can be difficult to get good photos, it is still my favorite place in the East to watch and listen to trains.

Except for some "goodies" on the PC such as E-7s on the mail train, Alcos, FP-7s and a DL-640, I did not miss Penn Central. It was so encouraging to see the bright blue Conrail locomotives with the "can opener" logo after years of doom and gloom with Penn Central. Sure, Conrail's first few years were rough, but after a while, they got it together.

Here's a current (2005) scene showing the nose of the PRR GP-9 on display at the Curve with an NS GE in the background.

Dave

Date: 01/18/07 10:51
Author: AmericanLines

CNW8531 Wrote:
> The signal bridge was still there in 1980, but I
> don't know about now.

That signal bridge is still there as of 2005.

Date: 01/18/07 18:41
Author: HB90MACH

That bridge is still there now. Along with the other bridges in the area. The signal replacementy has not hit that area as far as I know. Anybody here anythign as to when it might happen though? Or are those towers safe due to the absolute need for Alto tower?

Date: 01/18/07 19:46
Author: m1bprr

Horseshoe of the past.
Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 01/18/07 19:59
Author: RuleG

m1bprr Wrote:
> Horseshoe of the past.
> Ed K. cp Laurel Run

When was the caboose removed? If I recall correctly, there was a fire, but I don't remember how much of the caboose was damaged.

Dave

Date: 01/18/07 20:18
Author: MILW86A

Like Angus I miss the PC too, I remember taking some family trips out east in the 70's and seeing PC and thinking how neat it was.

I rode across Horseshoe in 1979 on the Broadway in the dark, but I remember the porter in our slumbercoach telling me that we'd left Altoona so I can see it out the window. Heck I dont think I slept much the whole night on that trip west.

I went out to the shoe in 1993. I was impressed. I need to get back out there now that NS is in charge to see the changes.

MILW86A

Date: 01/19/07 09:09
Author: burlingtonjohn

Any shots of the American Freedom Train on Horseshoe?

As an aside, I was a passenger in a slumbercoach on the westbound Broadway Limited back in August of 1981. I had the porter make sure I was awake as we went over Horseshoe ... I wanted to see the K4!

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 01/19/07 17:30
Author: cforssi

I miss the 4th track. What an abomination removing the track.

Date: 01/19/07 18:15
Author: dschlegel

RuleG Wrote:
> Its also the EL hoppers on the train, .......

Actually, I still see an occasional EL hopper through Topton. Last time I walked the towpath from Sand Island in Bethlehem along Allentown yard to the Canal Park about a year ago, there was a string of EL and even a few RDG hoppers spotted near where the roundhouse and coal tower used to stand. I suspect they are used in ballast service by the maintainers that work out of that part of the yard.

Date: 01/19/07 21:02
Author: hebron_hapt

Kudos to the local volunteers who performed some massive tree cutting and clearing to present an almost 180 degree view again. If you were there 5 years ago and go back now the change is amazing. And, it's a freebie in the winter months - as long as you can climb 194 stairs to the top.

Date: 01/20/07 15:47
Author: dwil89

Here is Horseshoe in 2006...minus trees at the park...Dave Williams

Date: 01/20/07 15:54

A double set of helpers on the rear of an Eastbound coaldrag descending the grade around Horseshoe Curve...Dave Williams

Date: 01/20/07 16:00

EB stacks round Horseshoe Curve....Dave W.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3587 seconds