Home Open Account Help 197 users online

Nostalgia & History > U.P. R'y Co. brass lock

Date: 02/03/07 17:24
U.P. R'y Co. brass lock
Author: ddg

This was a gift. My mother-in-law found it at a yard sale in Topeka back in the early 70's when I started collecting RR stuff. It's an old C. T. Fraim lock, "S" size. It takes a different cut than the regular UP key. I have about 350 pretty good keys in my collection, and nome of my UP keys will fit it. What years did UPRR use this name form?

Date: 02/03/07 20:46
Re: U.P. R'y Co. brass lock
Author: Cjcheely

The lock should date from 1884 to 1900 it was the only time the union pacific called it self a "railway" not a "railroad".

Date: 02/03/07 20:55
Author: rrman6

Some of these locks were still in use in the early to mid-60's at least, but not as switch locks. Some maintenance-of-way structures were still using this or one very similar.

Date: 02/04/07 06:48

Here is the CS-21 Roadway & Bridge Dept. lock. It was used into the 1970's. It's quite a bit smaller than the UP R'y lock. The CS-21 is more recent. It's about 3/4 the size of the first lock.

Date: 02/04/07 07:52
Author: spnudge

Turn it over and show us what the key way looks like.

Nudge

Date: 02/04/07 16:20

The smaller CS-21 key fits the Road & Bridge lock in the photo. The larger UP R'y lock is shown with an old P.R.R. "knobby" key that fits it perfectly and opens it also. The correct UP key should look similar. Both have a straight 6 o'clock key way. In 35 years of collecting RR keys, I've never seen the correct key for this lock. (both spring loaded drops propped open with toothpicks)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1249 seconds