Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Nostalgia & History > Look what I found! More old SP.

Date: 02/03/07 19:33
Look what I found! More old SP.
Author: SP6190

Going through some old boxes still looking for staples, I ran across another box of goodies. Here are the first three, all by Joe Schmitz.

#1 Number 52, with the 6393 and a couple of friends about ready to depart for Los Angeles from Oakland. The picture was taken in November 1957.

#2 ItÂ’s number 96 the Noon Daylight heading south somewhere in California with the 4444 on the point sometime in 1948. Sorry there is no location on the print.

#3 The last shot for today is the Shasta Daylight and was taken at Chiloquin Oregon , in August of 1954.

Date: 02/03/07 19:56
Re: Look what I found! More old SP.
Author: Yardmaster

Oh yeah! The last one is right where HWY 97 crosses the tracks at 452.

Nice shot!

Yarddog

Date: 02/03/07 22:14
Author: samreeves

#2 is between Watsonville Junction and Elkhorn.

Date: 02/03/07 22:55
Author: TonyJ

samreeves Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> #2 is between Watsonville Junction and Elkhorn.

Sam, the road to the right doesn't look right to me to be between Watsonville Jct. and Elkhorn Slough. I don't think the road is that high above the tracks. Of course, it's been 12 years since I've been there. - Tony J.

Date: 02/04/07 01:51
Author: n6nvr

Are those heavy weight head-end cars both painted in Daylight or 2 tone gray? I know there were some RPO's in Daylight, but I didn't know about any clerestory full length baggage cars painted that way. Then again it might just be the combination of filter and film making it appear that way. Certain filters and certain colors used to do some wild things with B&W film results.

Date: 02/04/07 08:45
Author: odub

What a wonder "find". These are wonderful!!!!

Don Hall
Yreka, CA

Date: 02/04/07 10:04
Author: JohnSweetser

n6nvr wrote:

>Are those heavy weight head-end cars both painted in Daylight or 2 tone gray? I know there were some RPO's in Daylight, but I didn't know about any clerestory full length baggage cars painted that way.

Photos showing clerestory-roofed, full-length baggage cars on the San Joaquin Daylight that are painted in Daylight colors can be found on pages 46, 53 and 69 of Dill's "Southern Pacific's San Joaquin Valley Line" (the book also has photos that show clerestory-roofed baggage cars painted in two-tone gray on this train).

Date: 02/04/07 10:48
Author: samreeves

TonyJ Wrote:
> samreeves Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > #2 is between Watsonville Junction and Elkhorn.
>
>
> Sam, the road to the right doesn't look right to
> me to be between Watsonville Jct. and Elkhorn
> Slough. I don't think the road is that high above
> the tracks. Of course, it's been 12 years since
> I've been there. - Tony J.

Tony for your reference. The culvert appears to be in the right place, and that hill on the left is unmistakenable.

Date: 02/04/07 17:25

JohnSweetser Wrote:
> n6nvr wrote:
>
> >Are those heavy weight head-end cars both painted
> in Daylight or 2 tone gray? I know there were
> some RPO's in Daylight, but I didn't know about
> any clerestory full length baggage cars painted
> that way.
>
>
> Photos showing clerestory-roofed, full-length
> baggage cars on the San Joaquin Daylight that are
> painted in Daylight colors can be found on pages
> 46, 53 and 69 of Dill's "Southern Pacific's San
> Joaquin Valley Line" (the book also has photos
> that show clerestory-roofed baggage cars painted
> in two-tone gray on this train).

Maybe it was the Baggages I remembered from the San Joaquin, but my memory is that it was just the one type of car, so I guess the answer is yes they had both?

Date: 02/05/07 01:02
Author: topper

TonyJ Wrote:
> samreeves Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > #2 is between Watsonville Junction and Elkhorn.
>
>
> Sam, the road to the right doesn't look right to
> me to be between Watsonville Jct. and Elkhorn
> Slough. I don't think the road is that high above
> the tracks. Of course, it's been 12 years since
> I've been there. - Tony J.

Looks to me like the first two digits on the mile marker next to the bridge are a "1" and a "0" which would be right for the mileposts in that location (Watsonville being 100.4 and Moss Landing being 107.7).

Date: 02/05/07 10:21

n6nvr wrote:

>Maybe it was the Baggages I remembered from the San Joaquin, but my memory is that it was just the one type of car, so I guess the answer is yes they had both?

Besides the photos of clerestory-roofed baggage cars in two-tone gray paint and in Daylight colors on the San Joaquin Daylight, "Southern Pacific's San Joaquin Valley Line" also has numerous photos showing round-roofed baggage cars in Daylight paint on the San Joaquin Daylight.

I couldn't find any photos of round-roofed baggage cars in two-tone gray paint on the San Joaquin Daylight, but there are many photos in this and other books showing such cars on the Owl, the West Coast and the Sacramento Daylight, so it seems likely they could have showed up on the San Joaquin from time to time.

Date: 02/05/07 10:26

topper wrote:

>Looks to me like the first two digits on the mile
marker next to the bridge are a "1" and a "0" which would be right for the mileposts in that location ...

To be technical, that is a culvert marker.

Date: 02/05/07 21:55

round roofs were aplenty in most paint schemes, including the simulated stainless steel, as were lots of clerestory roofs in grey versions, but it's the full length clerestory roofs in Daylight I was wondering about.

From the Coscia site http://webpages.charter.net/altalair/sp_daylight.html

Storage Mail 80 foot (20 foot baggage/60 foot RPO) monitor roof:
4301 - St Louis Car-built 1937. Originally 7242 of 7240-7249 series, part of the 4300-4302 series on the 1/1/1952 roster.
By the 5/6/1959 SP car assignment list (59CA), listed as an 80 foot baggage, repainted simulated stainless steel and assigned
to the Golden State

Baggage-Postal 80 foot (20 foot baggage/60 foot RPO) monitor roof:
5217-5219 - St Louis Car-built 1937. Originally 7247, 7248 and 7240 of 7240-7249 series. By 59CA, all painted Daylight with 5217-8 assigned to SJ Daylight and 5219 assigned to Trains 57-58.

Baggage-Postal 80 foot (20 foot baggage/60 foot RPO) monitor roof:
6506-6507 - St Louis Car-built 1937. Originally 7229, 7230. Painted Daylight 1950. By 59CA, still painted Daylight and assigned to Trains 51-52.

In other words no full length monitor/clereestory roof straigh baggage cars. That's part of why I'm thinking they were 2 tone grey.

Date: 02/06/07 02:32

The full length baggage cars (or car) with clerestory roofs that appeared in the three photos in "Southern Pacific's San Joaquin Valley Line" that I previously mentioned were clearly painted in Daylight colors since this is an all-color book.

Date: 02/06/07 09:13

The clerestory-roofed baggage cars on the San Joaquin Daylight, both in two-tone gray and Daylight, may have originally been horse-baggage cars (they have three doors per side).

Date: 02/06/07 15:09
Author: agentatascadero

samreeves Wrote:
> #2 is between Watsonville Junction and Elkhorn.

So would this be about 2-3 miles east (compass south) of the Watsonville Jct station, just after the tracks leave Pajaro Valley? I had thought it looked like the territory between San Jose and Coyote. AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1072 seconds