Home Open Account Help 225 users online

Nostalgia & History > Sort of slug set on the BN.

Date: 02/19/07 19:12
Sort of slug set on the BN.
Author: alco636

I don't know what to call this. But one day at Northtown a SD38P was moving around a SD40-2 and TECB6 #6290. The SD40-2 isn't supposed to be in between the two. Of course. How this all came about is beyond me... I'm glad I caught it though.

On another note I once met a railfan who just swore these TECB6's didn't have any cab controls. He insisted he was right. I just let him be "right", and let him go on his way. Why would there be a cab with a/c and a horn if it didn't have a control stand?

I heard once the crews at Northtown did not like these sets at all. Safety reasons, and sadly perhaps someone was killed. I don't know. I do know after the BNSF merger, former ATSF SD39 slug sets took over the hump duties at Northtown.

#1 TECB6 6290. Former CB&Q SD9 #341, later BN 6143.

#2 SD40-2 7186.

#3 SD38P 6265. Former Southern SD35 3099.

Date: 02/19/07 19:38
Re: Sort of slug set on the BN.
Author: SteelValleyModels

I always thought those TEBC6's were cool looking units. Made sense to have a cab on the slug too. Nice to see the former SD35 still making money !

Paul, KI4DMP
Greenville, TX

Date: 02/20/07 09:09
Author: Rail1

I believe they are former SD-9s. How many of these were rebuilt to slug sets and how many are still in service?

Date: 02/21/07 13:12
Author: TopcoatSmith

Most crews like working in the slug cab cuz it's quieter than the SD-38. I guess they use mind control to run 'em from there eh ???

TCS - best not to argue with those types, they're kinda scary sometimes ...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0367 seconds