Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Nostalgia & History > The Buffalo Creek & Gauley RR.

Date: 03/04/07 16:10
The Buffalo Creek & Gauley RR.
Author: m1bprr

The last revenue steam powered I witnessed in my lifetime was the Buffalo Creek & Gauley out of Dundon, WVA. It was all about coal. Some of my Pix from those days. We often were guests at the General managers home Rich, and Hazel Manning were the most warm hosts to us fans from the north.

Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 03/04/07 16:12
Re: The Buffalo Creek & Gauley RR.

Ed K.

Date: 03/04/07 16:16

Back in 1963, Bud Rothaar, Jack Wheelahan, and I, were chasing Buffalo Creek & Gauley #4 up the road from Crestmont to Swandale in Jack's than new 63 Pontiac Gran Prix.

That road which parallels the Buffalo Creek slightly above the creek, with the railroad on the other side is a great pacing stretch! Anyway Jack driving, me in the shotgun seat, and Bud in the back with all the camera's were motoring right along with number 4, Ab Wilson the firemen, was in the gangway watching us. He makes like he is going to spit a wad of chew right on Jack's windshield, kidding of course.

Well Jack watching Ab, and being caught up in the locomotive's mechanical, and sound display ( he had 60 empties for the mine at Widen) isn't watching where he's going, winds up sliding us down the bank to the Buffalo Creek!

Well, we wind up at a 45 degree angle stopped, only a few minor scratches on Jack's Pontiac! Bud didn't fair so well, seems three Speed Graphics's landed on his shoulder, and arm. he was bleeding, nothing serious though.

Well now the train passes us, and here we sit pondering our fate. Just about then, along comes someone in a Jeep from the Georgia Pacific mill in Swandale. He stops, says "You fella's have a might bit of trouble! I darsent think my Jeep has the guts to get you all out." Than he tells us someone from the mill will be along with a log rig soon, maybe he can help.

After a time along comes this Ford F-400 tractor, log trailer rig, loaded with logs for the mill. It stops, out climbs this big man who looked like Hoss Cartright from Bonanza! He says " I kin get ya all out of there." We wondered how, that ol Ford was laboring with its load of logs! He says, " I got 10 forward, one of em ought do it, I specks!"

Lo, and Behold! out comes this length of chain, wraps it around the rear Axel of the trailer, and around Jack's front A frame, and out he yanks us in Granny low! Needless to say we were so pleased, we gave him a twenty dollar bill, (considerable sum in 1963) The man couldn't thank us enough, and us him. Jacks Gran Prix was ok as well.

Later on at G. Richard Manning's, who was the General Superintendent of the BC&G. (We often enjoyed Richard, and his wife Hazel's hospitality, and stayed with them on our trips down there.) Richard was told of what happened by the train crew by phone when they got to Widen.

Richard tells us, by giving that driver a $20 dollar bill, he had to be the richest man in Swandale! We came to find out his name was Biggins Fitzwater. Hey! This is West Virginia By God!
This is a true story, I lived it, ask Jack Wheelahan if you ever run into him on UP's 3985.
Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 03/04/07 18:05
Author: switchlamp

Excellent pictures and story.......you made my day!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0525 seconds