Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP passenger car and loco number duplication?

Date: 03/18/07 22:23
SP passenger car and loco number duplication?
Author: brassmag

When SP had passenger cars during the 50's and 60's for example, just about all of them seemed to be a four-digit number. How did they handle on paper or in the "system" any duplication with a four-digit locomotive?

Date: 03/19/07 09:36
Re: SP passenger car and loco number duplication?
Author: csxt4617

I always wondered the same thing with C&O/B&O. They had cabooses with 4 digit numbers,
which conflicted with some engine numbers. Later on, the cabooses had a 90 added to the
front of the 4 digit ones.

Date: 03/19/07 12:54
Author: RD10747

Different classes of equipment had their own numbering
system, ie: Santa Fe express psgr reefers were in the
4000 series as was some 2-8-2 steam locos...

Date: 03/19/07 13:17
Author: Waybiller

Having duplicate numbers would have been possible up until the computer era, as I'm not aware of any railroads having car type be part of the 'key' in equipment identification, but I'm totally ignorant of the really early car control systems.

It would have had to have ended by the TRAIN and UMLER era of the early 1960s, at minimum.

Date: 03/19/07 21:00
Author: brassmag

For example, when someone was told to check or repair an axle on SP2942 how would an employee know to track down a coach or locomotive?

Date: 03/20/07 07:58
Author: vcrail

If the 2942 was a passenger car it would be in the coach yard and be looked at by a coach yard employee, if locomotive 2942 was coupled to it the coach yard employee would not even look at it as it is a locomotive which only gets worked on at the engine house. It would be just the opposite at the engine house if a coach was there.

Date: 03/20/07 08:51
Author: WAF

I'm sure inventories were broken down by type of equipment.. freight car, caboose, passenger car, locomotive

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0428 seconds