Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Nostalgia & History > Old Scrapbook Clippings

Date: 04/02/07 16:26
Old Scrapbook Clippings
Author: RebStout

My old friend, Yogi “The Collector” Klein drops by my house to show me a set of Old Scrapbooks that he purchased on ebay. He still makes 6-8 purchases daily on ebay! He’s 75 years old, and you wouldn’t believe the stuff he’s collected in his life.

So he gives me these scrapbooks. I can’t believe he actually spent money on them. Pages flaking, falling apart, torn pages, but fun to look thru. The range of the articles this women pasted in these books covers a span of 60+ years. From newspapers, books, magazines, brochures, flyers, etc…

So I carefully take them apart and go thru them page at a time. She seemingly saved everything. Articles on people, presidents, ships, every obituary, and a few railroad related articles here and there. Most clippings in terrible shape, but many so unusual that it was worth a shot to scan them.

The majority of the newspaper clippings were from Iowa.

Clipping #1 – “The Empire Builder”.

Clipping #2 – “The Alton Limited”.

Clipping #3 – “Perkins”. Maybe somebody knows the exact location.

Date: 04/02/07 16:28
Re: Old Scrapbook Clippings

Clipping #4 – “Forgotten Fun”.

Clippings #5 & #6 – “Tracks to the Past”.

Date: 04/02/07 16:30

Clipping #7 – Long Beach #219. Anybody have any info?

Clipping #8 – Historic Sheldon Depot.

Clipping #9 – Murdo, South Dakota.

Date: 04/02/07 16:31

Clipping #10 – “The Circus Goes to War”.

Clipping #11 – Abandoned tracks through Sheldon.

Enjoy!
Reb Stout
Anaheim, California

Date: 04/02/07 17:45
Author: pwh

The Empire Builder plate's locomotive looks more like a NYC J1 4-6-4 Hudson with a PT4 temder than any GN loco.

Date: 04/02/07 19:10
Author: upkpfan

Redstout,
Is there anymore story about the water tower than what shows on TO? If so, I would like to see the rest of it. What RR did it come from? upkpfan

Date: 04/02/07 19:15

Hi upkpfan...

Sorry, that's all there was to that article. The train articles were just stuck in the old scrapbooks here and there...no pattern - she just saved anything that caught her interest.
Reb

Date: 04/03/07 15:38
Author: upkpfan

Reb,
Thank you. They are interesting. upkpfan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.072 seconds