Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Nostalgia & History > Meet the Parents Day 1.

Date: 04/03/07 07:48
Meet the Parents Day 1.
Author: SP6190

Back in September of 1981 my future wife and I took off work for a couple of weeks, and headed back to Kansas so she could meet my parents. This would also be her first major rail fan adventure, one I don’t think she has fully recovered from after more than 25 years.

September 26, 1981

Our plan was to go as far as Williams Arizona the first day, then head up to the Grand Canyon and over to Durango Colorado the next. Unfortunately she wasn’t feeling too good (cold), and by the time we reached Williams all she wanted to do was sleep. So after getting a motel room for the night and putting her to bed, I headed out (at her urging) to the Santa Fe main to see if I could catch a train or two.

#1-2 Once I found a spot to sit, it wasn’t long before the parade started. The 5038 east was the first one through, and was follow closely by the 3215 both headed east.

Date: 04/03/07 07:48
Re: Meet the Parents Day 1.

#3-4 Another eastbound, the 3829 was next with four GP50’s.

Date: 04/03/07 07:49

#5 At that point I decided to find another location where the sun might be a little bit better for east bounds. I didn’t get very far though when I heard another eastbound approaching. Soon the train appeared with four big units on the point.

#6 I finally found a spot on a dirt road just past the new I40 bridge (still under construction if I remember right) on the east side of Williams. The first train through was lead by the 8052 on a four unit consist including a GP40X as the second unit.

Date: 04/03/07 07:50

#7 Finally a westbound. Here the 5514 leads two other units on a pig train.

#8 I started to get into the car and head back to the motel when I heard another westbound approaching, so of course I had to wait for it. Here is the 8773 on the North track on what turns out to be the best shot of the day.

After the 8773 it was time to head back to the motel and dinner at Rod’s Steak House.

Date: 04/03/07 16:49
Author: n6nvr

You didn't do too bad all things considered. At least you got her in the room and secured for the woes.

We ought to have a thread about things we've done to our wives or significant others. All I've done to my wive while fanning (other than a little long at the train store, short surprise detours, etc) was pointing out that she could just go over the side at Summit (Cajon Pass) to avoid having to stop at the gas stations at 138 and I-15, which weren't usually all that great. Ok, it wasn't really my fault the rattlesnake was down there or my flashlight died just as the sun went behind the mountains. Some other accomodating fan backed his pick-up over with the tailgate down so she could climb in and be rescued, because she wasn't walking through any more brush she couldn't see all the way around.

My Dad and a buddy get a memorial honorable mention for leaving their wives at the CV yards in New London, CT after a late dinner one night. the "Hey, would you guys like to ride a little ways down with us?" which was believed to be just down to the end of the yard and back turned out to be a 3 hour run on the turn out and back. When they got home at 2:00 am, the wives weren't too happy. After hearing about that one several times, my wife just gets a little annoyed. She knows what can really happen if I get lucky.

Date: 04/04/07 15:49
Author: NebraskaZephyr

n6nvr Wrote:

> When they got home at 2:00 am, the wives weren't too happy.
> After hearing about that one several times, my
> wife just gets a little annoyed. She knows what
> can really happen if I get lucky.

Yeah, I'm sure she also knows what's NOT going to happen if you're to have any chance at "gettin' lucky", either....

Sorry, couldn't help myself! :-)

NZ
Whose wife graciously endures train rides, but has very low tolerance for chasing...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1107 seconds