Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Nostalgia & History > A Nostalgic Trip thru "Emeryville Junction"

Date: 04/25/07 03:13
A Nostalgic Trip thru "Emeryville Junction"
Author: KeyRouteKen

Photo 1. A motorman's view looking down Louise Street heading toward the Key System//Sacramento Northern mainline. Tower 2 is in control. The freeway overhead is part of the Bay Bridge distribution system.

Photo 2. We have just passed under the Bay Bridge distribution system making our approach to Emeryville Junction and the KEY//SN mainline. The Key System shops and Hollis Street are out of sight but to the far LEFT of the photo.

Photo 3. We have arrived at "Emeryville Junction" under the ever watchful eye of Tower number 2...

"Key Route Ken"...

Date: 04/25/07 07:37
Re: A Nostalgic Trip thru "Emeryville Junction"
Author: TonyJ

Ken,
Nice images of a time I wish I could experience again. - Tony J.

Date: 04/25/07 08:59
Author: Steamjocky

Would it be possible to see a photo of Louise Street from this same prospective today? Is the bridge still there?

JDE

Date: 04/25/07 14:32
Author: engine3420

That Louise street view is very interesting....looks to be a rare Graham Hollywood Sedan on the left and a little up front with it's door open a Chrysler or Desoto Airflow.......I like these old street scenes.

Date: 04/25/07 18:58
Author: stash

Steamjocky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would it be possible to see a photo of Louise
> Street from this same prospective today? Is the
> bridge still there?
>
> JDE

I'll drive by and take a photo in a day or two. The second photo, in case you don't know, is the overpass from the other direction. That highway is I-580 at the Bay Bridge "maze"--a very busy road.

As for the tower area, all has become a shopping center, hotel and such now.

Date: 04/25/07 20:46
for Steamjocky and others interested in old Oakland

John Harder saw the post and saved me a trip to west Oakland for current photos of the Louise St. area. This could be more than you ever wanted to know about the locale, but I tend to get carried away. The neighborhood is beginning to change rapidly in Oakland. On the Emeryville side of I-580 is has totally changed after years of being vacant land. I've captioned John Harder's photos.

Date: 04/25/07 20:54
Re: for Steamjocky and others interested in old Oakland

more contemporary scenes from John Harder's camera.

Oakland Terminal Ry. ran on single track for many years along Louise and Poplar Streets after Key System's double track was ripped-up. OTR's operation there is history. To learn more about the obscure, historic OTR, check this site by Howard Wise:

http://www.trainweb.org/sp5623/index.htm

Date: 04/26/07 00:24
Author: Steamjocky

Stash, I'd like to thank you and John Harder for your photos. I really appreciate the map too as it gives me an idea of the area that we are talking about. I just love to be able to compare the "old" and "new" photos of areas where the rails once roamed.

JDE

Date: 04/26/07 21:18
Author: norm1153

Stash, please don't apologize for getting too carried away. Never!

Thanks,
Norm

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0344 seconds