Home Open Account Help 270 users online

Nostalgia & History > A little more UP from the past.

Date: 05/03/07 09:19
A little more UP from the past.
Author: SP6190

More from the archives of Bernard Levine. All photos taken in September 1967.

#1 409 Spanish Fork, Utah

#2-3 939 Salt Lake City

Date: 05/03/07 09:21
Re: A little more UP from the past.

#4-5 3622 Rawlins First eastbound run with slaves

#6 3623 Green River These are the slave units on the 3622 above.

Date: 05/03/07 09:22

#7 Eastbound at Rawlins

Date: 05/03/07 09:35
Author: GrandeGold

SP6190 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> More from the archives of Bernard Levine. All
> photos taken in September 1967.
>
>
> #1 409 Location unknown

John, that's UP's depot at Spanish Fork, Utah. The location is on the old Provo Subdivision about five miles southwest of Provo yard. It appears the westbound train is ore empties from Geneva Works, likely headed for loading at Iron Mountain near Cedar City, Utah.

Here's a current photo of the depot, taken almost 40 years later at Spanish Fork. Sure do wish the SD24's were still roaming the rails.

James

Date: 05/03/07 09:52
Author: wabash2800

That is that on the spur behind the 3622? A gas electric? Rail testing car? Other special car?

Date: 05/03/07 14:44
Author: highgreengraphics

Looks like DC-3, an old Brill doodlebug (but I don't know which one) made into a rail detector car. It had a classic look to it, but sometime in the 1980's the ends were removed and large vertical windows that leaned downward on both ends were applied, quite ungainly from the outside, but probably reduced sun glare from the rails inside. It was replaced by a much smaller and more angular Plasser-American car, numbered DC-4 I think. The last I saw of DC-3, it was parked with other defunct equipment on the Wyoming/Colorado Railroad at the old LHP&P enginehouse area at Laramie, WY. I do not know where it went, or if it is parked in the hills somewhere west of Laramie. It could not have gone too far it seems by rail as at least one end only had a rather crude - looking small drawbar. If it is in the hills, it is locked in as is the old UP - GWR cupola "Chuck's" caboose still in the trees at the end of where the wye used to be at Fox Park, WY, as all the rails are torn up. - - - - JLH

Date: 05/04/07 00:57
Author: missedcall

Are the rails still there ?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0428 seconds