Home Open Account Help 270 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP Steam assignments

Date: 05/13/07 17:43
SP Steam assignments
Author: espee99

What power was used on the coast between 1935-1945 for local service and freight, also does anyone know the size of the SLO turntable and what business cars were used on the Coast in the same timeframe.

I am starting to build a module based model RR and any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Date: 05/13/07 20:03
Re: SP Steam assignments
Author: spnudge

The table at SLO was 105 feet long, electric, 3 point truss and put in 1923. They had a wye to turn the mallets.

As far as I know it was 2-6-0s, 2-8-0s and 2-10-2s along with the mallets. The business cars were, I think, the Los Angeles, Oakland. I know someone on here must know exactly.

Nudge

Date: 05/13/07 20:16
Author: Steamjocky

Tim, if you can, take a look at Signor's two books on the coast, COAST LINE and COAST LINE PICTORIAL. There are literally tons of photos of operations in and around San Luis Obispo within the years you mentioned. Just about any and all kinds of motive power were used out of San Luis Obispo from big ACs to little Moguls and even 0-6-0 switch engines and almost everything in between. I think the only type of locomotives that were not used, and I could be wrong, were the 2900 class 4-8-0s.

And by the way, in 1952, the turntable at San Luis Obispo was 105 feet long.

JDE

Date: 05/14/07 05:47
Author: espee99

Thanks, Guys. I have accumilated about 50% of my motive power, and and starting on the first module, which is an engine facility. BTW any help with business cars?

Date: 05/14/07 07:24
Author: engine3420

Steamjocky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tim, if you can, take a look at Signor's two books
> on the coast, COAST LINE and COAST LINE PICTORIAL.
> There are literally tons of photos of operations
> in and around San Luis Obispo within the years you
> mentioned. Just about any and all kinds of motive
> power were used out of San Luis Obispo from big
> ACs to little Moguls and even 0-6-0 switch engines
> and almost everything in between. I think the
> only type of locomotives that were not used, and I
> could be wrong, were the 2900 class 4-8-0s.
>
> And by the way, in 1952, the turntable at San Luis
> Obispo was 105 feet long.
>
> JDE
I have a picture of 2918 at SLO working the yard in June 1952.
Chris

Date: 05/14/07 12:07
Author: Steamjocky

engine3420 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a picture of 2918 at SLO working the yard
> in June 1952.
> Chris

See? Didn't I tell you that I was probably wrong? Thanks, Chris.

Sorry, Tim, but I can't help you with the business car info.

JDE

Date: 05/14/07 19:07
Author: JohnSweetser

Pages 31-35 of the March 1993 Mainline Modeler had an article about the turntable at SLO plus similar 100-foot turntables elsewhere on the SP and the Union Pacific. All except two of the photos in the article were of the SLO turntable.

The plan with the article unfortunately gives few dimensions; one has to figure these out with the scale printed on the plan. Therefore, it is advisable to also refer to the plans for an SP 100-foot pony truss turntable found on pgs. 38-41 of "Southern Pacific Lines Common Standard Plans Vol. 1." If unable to find the actual publications, contact the Calif. State Railroad Museum Library for photocopies.

Date: 05/15/07 13:42
Author: spnudge

What I put on my thread came right out of the 1962 SP book from Portland to El Paso to Ogden, on turn tables, wyes, stations by divisions, by mileposts, officers from 65 Market to RFEs on line, etc. I know its right because I used to have to spin engines on it in helper service in the late 60s & 70s. The old heads told me, you could get a 43 & 4400 on it BUT you had to be careful which way you turned it and it had to overhang in order to clear the cement wall.

Nudge

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds