Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Nostalgia & History > Baldwin RF16's

Date: 05/17/07 14:45
Baldwin RF16's
Author: NKP715

Have done numerous searches, but haven't found an answer.

There are two former NYC, ex-D&H, sharks intact, supposedly in Michigan (??)

Can anyone update status?

Date: 05/17/07 16:38
Re: Baldwin RF16's
Author: highgreengraphics

Escanaba, MI hidden inside a building at the old Harnischfleger Hoist Co. group of buildings, an area utilized for shops for C&NW after they moved from their long-time lakefront location and still for E&LS. They are owned by Mr. Larkin who owns the E&LS. E&LS used to be friendly to railfans until some idiot ruined it for the rest of us by removing a bunch of Baldwin stuff that wasn't theirs; due to the nature of what was taken all would surmise it was a railfan. To this day their roundhouse premises are marked with signs saying "Railfans not wanted or needed - Keep Out!". Anyway, at least one of the Sharks was at Diesel-Electric Services in St. Paul, MN in 1980 when I was there for BN engine training, the one I saw still had inspection papers in it from its time on MIGN, but minus its prime mover. Inside the building now with them are a Milwaukee Skytop for sure, and I think an ex-Milw coach and sleeper, and recently I heard somebody say there is an all-dome ex-Milwaukee too I think. In five trips up there and poking around the shops and buildings that are unlocked, I have never been able to verify that they are there for myself, but locals say they indeed are there. - - - - JLH

Date: 05/17/07 16:41
Author: MThopper

Possibly at the Escanaba & Lake Superior RR in Channing, Michigan (in the U.P.). E&LS is not a railfan friendly place, so don't go poking around there. The road operates an ex-Milw line from Ontonagon to Channing and their own line from there down to Lake Michigan.

Date: 05/18/07 07:53
Author: highgreengraphics

Nope - been to Channing, too. Same "Railfans not wanted" sign, too. The Sharks are definitely in Escanaba according to locals. I commandoe'd around the sign at Channing and peeked into all the corners of the roundhouse, it's lonesome to not be wanted, anyway at Channing I did not see any other buildings around with tracks leading into them. Sure wish Mr. Larkin would do something with those Sharks, Lord knows he has enough Baldwin parts sitting around not doing much! --- --- . --- JLH

Date: 05/18/07 19:48
Author: FIREMAN424

they are most definitely in the shops,
Randy Allard

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0429 seconds