Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Nostalgia & History > More NWP 36 years later...

Date: 06/06/07 20:44
More NWP 36 years later...
Author: dmaffei

This view from Railbaron is just past the North portal of the Greenbrae Tunnel in San Rafael. The land is currently being used by the Marin Sanitary district.The rails have been cemented over, filled over and are being used to store garbage cans and haz-mat boxes. This area is gated and can normally not be accessed. The yard is also sublet to tree trimmers "Davey Tree". How the sanitary district can use this property I don't know. Big changes in this photo after 36 years.
Dave
Foot Note:
Got a bunch of Drive in stories from the guys who work with me,who were born and raised in Marin, when I showed them the old photo

Date: 06/06/07 20:55
North portal Greenbrae Tunnel

Here's what the portal looks like today. Has a locked gate. For what, I don't know.
This Tunnel, for those who may not know,is about a half mile north of the "Dirty Harry Bridge" and runs along Hwy 101. Never seen this Tunnel posted as its hard to gain access here.
Dave
Edit>The date on the portal says 1924

Date: 06/06/07 21:05
Wood bridge under freeway

In the first two photos, Hwy 101 is the overpass that the tracks go under. Under the overpass is this trestle dwarfed by the massive cement overpass of the Hwy. Wonder when this trestle saw direct sunlight last? Anyone getting tired of seeing a abandoned RR? This is the only rail fanning I can do in Marin!

Date: 06/06/07 21:11
Re: Wood bridge under freeway
Author: africansteam

Dave, thanks for supplying the "after" pictures to complement Railbaron's "before" shots. Great stuff!

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 06/06/07 22:19
Re: North portal Greenbrae Tunnel
Author: SW1200

Had great fun riding my Schwinn Stingray bike through this tunnel as a kid. As with most tunnels, once you got inside it seemed like it went on forever.

Thanks for sharing.

SW1200

Date: 06/06/07 23:29
Re: North portal Greenbrae Tunnel
Author: danf

That must be the north end of the tunnel that I posted here:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,1420940,1421221#msg-1421221

I explored that area last year but didn't make it all the way to the north portal. It looks like part of the south end caved in some time ago.

Date: 06/07/07 00:06
Author: espeeboy

dmaffei Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the first two photos, Hwy 101 is the overpass
> that the tracks go under. Under the overpass is
> this trestle dwarfed by the massive cement
> overpass of the Hwy. Wonder when this trestle saw
> direct sunlight last? Anyone getting tired of
> seeing a abandoned RR? This is the only rail
> fanning I can do in Marin!

Crazy stuff, I was just in Mill Valley today for business wondering on if I should sidetrack on the way home to find this tunnel!?! Traffic on the normal afternoon 101 crap-back-up convinced me to just get home ASAP. I did make a point to look for Dirty Clint up there on what's left of the trestle.

<g>

Date: 06/07/07 03:01
Author: danf

Dirty Clint? So many thoughts... none appropriate for TO. That's pretty funny. Is that dude still alive?

espeeboy Wrote:

> I did make a point to look for
> Dirty Clint up there on what's left of the
> trestle.
>
>

Date: 06/07/07 08:48
Author: JohnSweetser

"Dude," as in Clint Eastwood? Of course he is still alive.

Date: 12/05/08 00:29
Author: espeeboy

danf Wrote:
> Dirty Clint? So many thoughts... none appropriate
> for TO. That's pretty funny. Is that dude still
> alive?

LOL over a year later!!! Take out the "n" in "Dirty" Clint" and you definitely do have a different type of subject matter!

~~~

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0541 seconds