Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Nostalgia & History > NWP's San Rafael Branch

Date: 06/08/07 12:49
NWP's San Rafael Branch
Author: loleta

Railbaron's great photos inspired me to scan some slides from 1981-84, in the later years of the San Rafael Branch's existence. By this time, the railroad had stopped hauling its main commodity on the branch: Russian River gravel to the two cement plants - Shamrock and ?? (my memory fails me). Traffic was down to one customer which received lumber loads, a team track used by a beer distributor, and the occasional run down to Handi-Kup in Corte Madera (old station location of Detour). I can't offer pictures of SD9s or anything south of San Rafael, but here's what I have. Things got interesting near the very end of service (1985, I believe), as GP9s returned and the local would typically have 2-4 units - but I don't have access to those slides right now.

1, 2. Near Miller, south of Hamilton AFB.

Loleta Fernbridge

Date: 06/08/07 12:51
Re: NWP's San Rafael Branch

3,4. Crossing Las Gallinas Creek north of the Marin Civic Center.

5. Entering downtown San Rafael.

L.F.

Date: 06/08/07 12:53

6, 7. In San Rafael.

8. How Shamrock Cement moved hopper cars around.

Loleta Fernbridge

Date: 06/08/07 13:12
Author: Railbaron

Neat stuff!!! I will never get tired of NWP action, especially around San Rafael.

There were actually 3 cement companies in San Rafael, at least in the early 1970's. Shamrock was one that was located next to the wye on Lincoln Street. Then there was McPhales (probably spelled wrong) that actually had 2 tracks on one side of the mainline for aggregate cars and another spur on the other side of the mainline that got boxcars. Then across from the aggregate side of McPhales was another cement company that I believe started with a "C" but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of that place.

Also in San Rafael was Bergman's, which built rocket parts and used magnesium (saw some awesome fires there from time to time from where we lived). That was located just south of Shamrock. Then there was a roofing company that got shingles that had a spot on the wye next to Shamrock. And if you followed the wye around far enough it would tie into the San Anselmo Main and at the end of that at "B" street they would spot cars there for unloading by I think the Independent Journal newspaper. Also off the San Anselmo Main were 2 or 3 other industries that got cars (I've got a photo of a derailed SD-7 on one of those tracks). And back to the mainline there was San Marin Lumber, a team track, a van and storage company that got a lot of cars (that's where I parked my bike when I'd ride around the yard while they switched with the SD-7's), a candle factory, and then way down at the end of the San Quention Main was another team track. Yeah, at least until the early 70's there was a lot of business around San Rafael.

Keep posting more stuff as I enjoy seeing this stuff.

Date: 06/08/07 13:25

Right, McPhails, that's the one I was trying to remember. You've also reminded me of the line that curved around to the old San Anselmo main - they'd still go down there on occasion (I beleive it was a tile or shingle place), though I don't think they were too happy about it - the short curved bridge had a noticeable sag, and the track was really bad. I wish I'd been old enough to drive when they were going to Handi-Kup; as it was, I'd just wait aound in the San Rafael yard for them to return, missing photo opportunities at the tunnel and the Larkspur drawbridge (!*@#!). One of the regular crewmen (conductor?) was a guy named George, always friendly. I think he retired to the Fort Jones area (Northern California) shortly after the branch was abandoned.

For photos from 2002 of the condition of the NWP ROW, see http://www.flickr.com/photos/8727745@N07

Lo Fernbridge

Date: 06/08/07 13:56

Actually, I need to correct myself. Shamrock was on Irwin Street, not Linclon Ave.

This might have been the little bridge you were talking about (there were quite a few actually). This one is at Lindaro Street in San Rafael on the old San Anselmo Main. The switch stand is for the tail end of the wye from downtown San Rafael and from where Shamrock would have been/be. The bridge was being repaired after flooding in January, 1970.

BTW, is the little NWP "station" still on "B" Street? I think I have a photo of it further in my collection but I haven't gotten to it yet. Probably another casualty of "progress".

Also, the photos in that link you supplied are awesome. Obviously most are of the "north end". All one has to do is look at those and any thoughts of reopening that end should be chalked up to a "pipe dream".

--------------------------------------- 

Update: Photo(s) deleted because there are thieves on Trainorders who download and then use other peoples' photos in books, or simply print and sell the prints, for their own enrichment!!! I don't mind downloading them for your personal enjoyment but I draw the line at selling them or publishing them and claiming they are yours. Sorry I have to do this but the actions of a few screw it up for all.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/20 12:47 by Railbaron.

Date: 06/08/07 13:56
Author: africansteam

I wonder if they filled the barrel of that mixer with cement and allowed it to dry for maximum tractive effort?

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 06/08/07 13:57
Author: sphogger

More execellent shots! Did you post those in numbered sequence on purpose? 2592-2593-2594 Interesting!

sphogger

Date: 06/08/07 14:04
Author: WAF

2591 to 2595 assigned to the NWP.

Date: 06/08/07 14:38
Author: WAF

I find it interesting how much business this branch had in the early 70s and by the early eighties, it was almost gone. Of course, most of it was tied to the construction industry and in 1983, interest rates were 20 percent and home starts at an all time low. The same fate that killed the mainline killed the branch. All part of the bad hand that the SP was dealt.

Date: 06/08/07 19:29
Author: norm1153

I went up to San Rafael to watch the last train depart the downtown area at the end of service. Didn't take any pictures (idiot; what was I thinking). It was a very short train. There were a handful of others who attended the departure.

Date: 06/09/07 07:53

A couple of other shots from "the branch".

Photo 1 - February 1973 - Special move taking the Catherine Boothe from Greenbrae to Schellville where it will be taken over by the SP. This photo is passing through downtown San Rafael just north of the station (in the background).

Photo 2 - July 1977 - "Loleta" had a fine photo on this bridge so I thought I'd throw my shot of the bridge over Las Gallinas Creek into the ring also. Mount Tamalpais is in the background. Note the "portable Mars light on the 3796.

--------------------------------------- 

Update: Photos deleted because there are thieves on Trainorders who download and then use other people's photos in books for their own enrichment!!! Sorry I have to do this.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/19 10:06 by Railbaron.

Date: 06/10/07 06:57
Author: SW1200

Great stuff, brought back lots of good memories of riding my bike over from San Anselmo after school in the late 70's/early 80's to try to catch the local switching what industries were left in San Rafael. I recall Shamrock and McPhail's of course, plus the lumber yard and an occasional spot at the team track. I did follow the local to Greenbrae a few times and have a couple of shots at the tunnel and the drawbridge. Unfortunately they are on slides and I don't have a scanner.

Towards the end the local always seemed to have a scale test car with them, either an old converted baggage car or an actual test car. I was told this was used to calibrate the weigh-in-motion scale at Burdell, just north of Novato.

I like the shots at Gallinas Creek. I believe this was technically still a moveable bridge. Anybody have an idea when it last opened?

SW1200

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1971 seconds