Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP 4449 at Grass Lake

Date: 06/21/07 13:27
SP 4449 at Grass Lake
Author: MaineLines

Southern Pacific's GS-4 heads for Railfair '81 at Grass Lake and Andersite, CA http://www.trainorders.com//avshare/thumbnails//2002-medium.jpg

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/21/07 13:58
Re: SP 4449 at Grass Lake
Author: SPSF_luvr

travelling back in time now have we...

Date: 06/21/07 16:36
Author: samreeves

Ahh yes. That's when 4449 had that nice six chime whistle. Great!

Date: 06/23/07 09:18
Author: Sneebly

WAs the SDP45 there to provide steam heat or tractive effort or both?

Date: 06/25/07 11:16
Author: MaineLines

I would say the diesel was for traction and dynamic braking since it was pulled off once the train reached the valley.

Date: 06/26/07 18:30
Author: BulletBob

Thanks for posting that. It had one of finest steam whistle sequences I've heard and seen in a
very long time. What an extraordinary sound. I think if in person you'd have to shave your
neck afterwards because the hair would have all gone kinky.

I even played it for one older teenage daughter prefacing it by having her imagine an important
passenger train passing through her town everyday at 4:30PM and then hearing the whistle and looking at your watch.

I enjoyed seeing her reaction which was one of both intrigue and amazement.

Many years ago we rode the then Tarantula in Fort Worth and they had a 6-chime whistle
installed that day. What a treat. Asking afterwards they said they had a collection they
periodically swapped out. It was our lucky day.

Thanks again .

Date: 07/01/07 12:31
Author: 4-12-2

Wow, can you believe that was twenty-six years ago??? And I remember my amazement that it was happening at all.

At the time I thought she was carrying a five-chime, given the Nathan six-chime I was used to hearing at the time.

Boy, she is working hard there, sanders clearly wide open.

Thanks for sharing this!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0414 seconds