Home Open Account Help 231 users online

Nostalgia & History > LA/LGB Harbor way back when

Date: 04/28/08 08:10
LA/LGB Harbor way back when
Author: PERichardson

While poking around the LA Harbor area with friends looking for PHL gensets, etc. we talked about stuff that used to be there. Here are a few images from the days before the entire port area was redeveloped.
All three units are ex-SP.

1. American Boat (Bulk?) Loading Alco S6 500 at Dolores. May 1980

2. Agrex (x-Koppel) BLH S12 76 at Long Beach. March 1988

3. Metro Stevedore BLH S12 2 at Long Beach. December 1981

Date: 04/28/08 08:45
Re: LA/LGB Harbor way back when
Author: TCnR

It does appear that the PHL has become a topic of Nostalgia. There was a recent discussion about the 'early days' forming the PHL and a location naming drive-by. This lead to the PHL's distinctive Employee Timetable.
Interesting photos, never got close until a job assignment in the Harbor area. Lot's of stuff down there.

Date: 04/28/08 08:49
Author: trainjunkie

Very cool shots. I was never able to get a good shot of the ABLE S6 as it was always tucked away where it worked at the Kaiser coal dock in San Pedro. I got one lousy back-lit shot of it in August 1981 but by then it was already pretty faded and dirty. I've never seen it when it was fresh. BTW, ABLE was the reporting mark for American Bulk Loading Enterprises.

Thanks!

Mike

Date: 04/28/08 11:35
Author: UPNW2-1083

Nice shots. I wish I'd have gotten some shots of the Metro ALCos at Metro Stevedore. When I was a manager at Mead Yard in the early 90's, while hepling the crews putting a train away at Metro or the K-Line train across the street from Metro, I'd sit there and listen to the ALCos idling, or should I say burbling away. What an incredible sound.
Here's a shot of the Port of L.A. #1 taken in July 1973.-BMT

Date: 04/28/08 14:54
Author: PERichardson

Thanks for the info Mike. That shot was luck...was on the way to LAX that morning and looked off the 405 into Dolores and there it was. A quick detour got the shot. I presume it was being delivered after shopping/painting at Taylor shops.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.029 seconds