Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Nostalgia & History > The view from TV hill

Date: 06/24/08 22:34
The view from TV hill
Author: choochoocharlie

TV hill was mentioned as the background in my previous post yesterday of the 6907 on a freight waiting in SB. Here is what Santa Barbara looks like from the hill where the TV station is located in yesterdays photo. A fairly clear day for SB, probably in the wintertime in the '70s. My sons scan so would have to check for the actual date. If you look carefully you can see the old SP roundhouse (the small white rectangle) in the clump of trees to the right of the somewhat open space in the railroad yard. I guess it looks a lot different now down there. This photo will probably be used in one of my digital programs for the SPH&TS meet in Bakersfield this year. Will also try to visit SB during the trip to get some new photos of the area.

Added a shot of a westbound train with SD40 #8487 on the point picking up orders at the station. Dick Reed, the regular daytime operator, is waving at the crew from next to the station to the left in the photo.

C.C.Chas.

Date: 06/25/08 13:11
Re: The view from TV hill
Author: AZSP

Excellent stuff as always Charlie!

Date: 06/26/08 11:51
Author: P5r24

I remember seeing the roundhouse in S.B. (backside)
from the street that runs along the beach.
Do you have any pics of the front of the roundhouse?

Thanks for posting some great photos on here,

P5r24

Date: 06/26/08 21:37
Author: choochoocharlie

Yes, I do have shots of most sides of the SB roundhouse as well as photos from the roof and inside too. I hope to get those scanned, including an article from the SB News-Press about the history of it. Includes a short bit about a distant relative who helped get it designed and built. It was a unique design for a utilitarian structure like a locomotive round house. Cabrillo Blvd. is the street than ran between the beach and the roundhouse. I see the name of the street that took off to the northeast by the roundhouse had it's name changed. Probably due to Fess Parkers Red Lyon Inn presence. Guess they didn't want a street called Punta Gorde St. (translated, guess that would be Fat (large) Point) in front of their business.

C.C.Chas.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0453 seconds