Author: drew1946

Near Callander

Date: 07/01/08 08:59
Re: SP where
Author: ButteStBrakeman

drew1946 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Near Callander

I don't think that is anywhere near Callender Drew.....

Date: 07/01/08 09:18
Author: UPNW2-1083

North of Bench?-BMT

Date: 07/01/08 10:29
Author: WAF

Capitan?

Date: 07/01/08 11:24
Author: BCHellman

Here's a stab:

East approach to Concepcion, CA. Westward train.

Date: 07/01/08 12:21
Author: spnudge

A Westbound, West of Ellwood, going under the Hollister Ave bridge. That was approaching a 60 MPH curve for both pass & frt.

Date: 07/01/08 13:11
Author: Gonut1

Tri-X Land?

Gonut

Date: 07/01/08 16:30
Author: TopcoatSmith

UPNW2-1083 Wrote:
> North of Bench?-BMT

I thought that too but souldn't there, wouldn't there be mountains back yonder (unless it's one of those days) ?

TCS - air with an attitude

Date: 07/01/08 17:25
Author: ButteStBrakeman

TopcoatSmith Wrote:
> UPNW2-1083 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > North of Bench?-BMT
>
> I thought that too but souldn't there, wouldn't
> there be mountains back yonder (unless it's one of
> those days) ?
>
>
> TCS - air with an attitude

Actually, I have to agree with SPNudge........

V

SLOCONDR

Date: 07/01/08 19:55
Author: 3rdswitch

Don't know where Ellwood is? but my notes say MP338 a little east of Gaviota March '91. Train was flagging red signals for some reason.
JB

Date: 07/01/08 21:10
Author: spnudge

The fence on the left of the pic is on the ocean side of US 101 between where Hollister Ave comes in (bridge) and extends to Ellwood where the rest of it was taken out in a derailment in the late 70s. (Have pics somewhere)

East of Gaviota is pretty flat with no cuts until you start down to hill towards Tajiguas (MP 346). Then it was back up and around the curve at the beach (Refugio State Beach or Arrella Curve as it was called on the railroad)just before Capitan. Then it was off around a small curve and onto tangent track towards Naples (MP 355). Down in a sump and then up towards Naples. At the top of the hill you went back down into the curves and back out and up towards Ellwood. Then back down through Coromar, La Patera and Goleta.

By the way. When UP put in the siding "Ellwood" it should have been named Coromar MP 360. The siding at Ellwood was to the west or north of where the switch now sits at MP 359.

Nudge

Date: 07/01/08 21:14
Author: choochoocharlie

That's funny, 'cause when I first saw it, I thought just west of Ellwood too, just like SPnudge. Have been there a couple of times in the past at that cut, (or what I thought just a few minutes ago was that cut) and at Ellwood and the cement plant.

C.C.Chas.

Date: 07/01/08 21:37
Author: Ardenwood

It is the same spot identified in the thread "a few more from the Coast Line"
the third and last picture as
"bottom: the northbound Coast Starlight near Capitan"
So it must be near Capitan.

Date: 07/01/08 21:52
Author: choochoocharlie

Not necessarily................. I still think it's near Ellwood.........and I don't mean Ellwood P. Suggins either. There is a cut just west of Capitan, but it is on a curve. East of Capitan I can't remember a cut that deep until east of Naples, but it isn't that deep either and doesn't have a fence.

C.C.Chas.

Date: 07/02/08 05:25
Author: WAF

The location I was thinking of is almost to the east switch Capitan

Date: 07/02/08 08:15
Re: SP where **CORRECTION**
Author: 3rdswitch

ALLRIGHT already! Consider this an admission of quilt! I have officially gone down in flames. After digging out my notes again the MP 338 I looked at referred to the NEXT shot of the Amtrak and this shot is indeed labeled ELLWOOD! Good job SP experts. I guess I need a thicker pair of glasses! Thanks for taking the time to shoot me down.
JB

Date: 07/02/08 11:09
Re: SP where **CORRECTION**
Author: SPLoopConductor

My first look said Naples / Ellwood, I'll join the gang! Nice piece of SP history, Joe. Thanks!

Take Care, Stay Safe, Have Fun!

Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0489 seconds