Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Nostalgia & History > Tucumcari and points east

Date: 08/04/08 19:20
Tucumcari and points east
Author: Pj

Just going thru some random pictures of May's move back east from Bakersfield. Once I hit Tucumcari, I didn't figure I would be paraelling the old ROW most of the way. What was I found kind of strange, is when I went to visit my aunt in Booneville, AR, that I would still be following this old ROW all the way east (with some portions and bridges still intact, but long abandoned).

Pic 1 - At a local bank, the mural is still on a parking lot wall. How long has it been here?
Pic 2 - Down the road along portions of old Route 66, many former Santa Fe reefers are now storage sheds
Pic 3 - Many wooden tressles are still standing

Date: 08/04/08 19:25
Re: Tucumcari and points east
Author: Pj

Pic 1 - Here and there, some are not so complete. Milepost 839.0. Many bridges and tressels were from complete to missing and all inbetween. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason.

Pic 2 - Somewhere near the Texas border. Some areas had an almost complete set of ties, some like this, and some...none.

Pic 3 - Over the line in Texas, one of the many silos that was once served by the rail line.

I'll post more as I need to convert more of the better pics.

Date: 08/04/08 19:35
Author: bnsfbob

You could have been following the Rock Island Choctaw route. They were salvaging the segment near Amarillo about 1984.

Bob

Date: 08/05/08 06:53
Author: millerdc

Thanks for the pictures. I am sure some of the folks on the Choctaw group would like to see them.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/ChoctawRoute/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=14

Date: 08/07/08 06:36
Author: Savannah_Atlanta750

"...this train'l stop at Tucumcari..."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1119 seconds