Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Nostalgia & History > Long Live the Santa Fe!

Date: 08/08/08 21:11
Long Live the Santa Fe!
Author: North_Track

A nice October '93 day finds ATSF GP60M 153 leading a nine unit manifest westbound on the Mojave Subdivision. The train was approaching the Lenwood Road crossing, just west of Barstow.

Date: 08/08/08 23:28
Re: Long Live the Santa Fe!
Author: ATSF100WEST

Nice Shot North_Track! My guess is that a LOT of that train would have been set out at Empire; maybe even a cut for Riverbank.

I love the consist too, with what appears to be a "Geep 9" behind the "60M"!

Thanks for sharing your fine image with us,

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 08/09/08 00:16
Author: Evan_Werkema

You can also see the "Imron cancer" that was beginning to afflict the GP60M fleet about that time. From what I understand, DuPont Imron is great paint so long as the surface is properly primed and the temperature is right. If something goes wrong, though, the paint doesn't bind to the surface very well. Once the paint surface gets marred, it starts coming off in big flakes, revealing the rust-colored primer underneath. Something definitely went wrong with the 60M's factory paint jobs, and the results can be seen on 153's fuel tank and air reservior. It usually started there, gradually spreading to the rest of the locomotive. Santa Fe got warranty repaints on the entire GP60M fleet out of this.

Date: 08/09/08 08:17
Author: North_Track

Thank you for your nice comments Bob. I'm glad you liked the shot.

Kevin

Date: 08/10/08 20:09
Author: ProAmtrak

Man that brings back memories, nice shot there!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.032 seconds