Home Open Account Help 221 users online

Nostalgia & History > HJO Photos: On the Zepher on the DRGW

Date: 09/25/08 09:11
HJO Photos: On the Zepher on the DRGW
Author: mdo

I think all of these were taken in Grand Junction.

Date: 09/25/08 09:16
Re: HJO Photos: On the Zepher on the DRGW
Author: mdo

Three more on the Grande

Date: 09/25/08 09:47
Author: Topfuel

That's actually an interesting series of pictures, as they appear to show (depending on the order the pictures were taken) 5 cars - including 3 domes - either being added or taken off the head end of number 18 at Grand Junction. I understand this was more common in the later years of the CZ. Also, the pictures show a steam generator car that was not used as often on the CZ as the former Alco PB units.

Date: 09/25/08 10:58
Author: ntharalson

Interesting photos and thanks for posting.

It appears from a close look at the photos, that pictures five and six were taken at different
times from the first four. Notice in picture five there is no snow in the shot, although it's
present in the other photos. Photo Six is an ABBBA five unit lashup, with no train in sight.
IIRC, the servicing area was west of the depot, and I see no sign of the Zephyr. Best guess
would be freight power.

As for the steam generator car, it probably predates the PB's in this service. I believe this
to be a former steam engine tender based on it's shape and trucks. I don't think it's an ex-NP
car, doesn't look right, but I was unaware that DRGW had such cars.

Any other thoughts are welcome, and thanks again, MDO, for posting.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 09/25/08 11:23
Author: Topfuel

Also, note that the baggage car shown in picture 2 (which is presumably the same car shown in picture 1) is not actually a CZ car since there is no WP/D&RGW/CB&Q ownership plate. That means that it is probably the Argo, Olympus, or Silver Treasure - 3 cars that were very similar to the baggage cars built for the CZ.

Date: 09/25/08 12:50
Author: davew833

D&RGW had two steam generator cars built from ex-D&RGW tenders. They were numbered #250-251. I'm not sure what class of steam locos they came from, but one was held for backup service at SLC as late as 1983. I remember seeing it in the Roper yard while riding the Rio Grande Zephyr in spring of 1983.

Date: 09/25/08 13:31
Author: tomstp

The steam generator cars had to come from either the M-68 or L-105 tenders since they were the same type of tender.

Date: 09/25/08 14:56
Author: NDHolmes

250 and 251 came from L-105 tenders in 1953. 250 was from #3703, and 251 was from #3709.

Date: 09/25/08 18:12
Author: bnsfbob

Topfuel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, note that the baggage car shown in picture 2
> (which is presumably the same car shown in picture
> 1) is not actually a CZ car since there is no
> WP/D&RGW/CB&Q ownership plate. That means that it
> is probably the Argo, Olympus, or Silver Treasure
> - 3 cars that were very similar to the baggage
> cars built for the CZ.

Good catch. I think you can make out BURLINGTON on the letterboard as well as a two-word car name.

Bob

Date: 09/25/08 21:01
Author: xtra1188w

The baggage car behind steam generator 251 is a heavyweight car that was painted in the Prospector/Royal Gorge passenger train colors. It was probably left in Grand Junction for express loading/unloading purposes. The Royal Gorge, both train numbers 1 & 2, and the Prospectors numbers 7 & 8 ran into Grand Junction in the late night/early morning hours. There was also another passenger train that ran thru Grand Junction in the 1950's, numbers 19 & 20, The Mountaineer which ran between Denver and Monte Vista. I am unsure of what its schedule was however, but this baggage car might have been part of a Mountaineer consist. I have been really yearning for a good Rio Grande break, and this has been one! Thanks for this thread MDO!

Con

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0421 seconds