Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Nostalgia & History > Original Main Line under Shasta Lake?

Date: 01/08/09 22:15
Original Main Line under Shasta Lake?
Author: dmaffei

These two photos peaked my interest as the backs say "concrete Bridge over Sac. River on way to Portland". the other says "View from bridge in previous photo" Date on both photos is 6-7-21. Anyone have an idea on this location? In the view from bridge photo, you can see what looks to be R-O-W and a steel through truss bridge on right and a structure at left. Don't think it's the original Pitt River Auto Bridge, but maybe another lost Highway 99 bridge under the lake? Thought I'd see if anyone here has an idea.

Date: 01/08/09 22:48
Re: Original Main Line under Shasta Lake?
Author: TCnR

The bridge in photo #1 appears to be consistent with the Pioneer Bridges North of Yreka on the same road, built around 1920, similar construction. Not the same foliage though. Don't know about #2 but it certainly looks like it could be the original main. Maybe the photo was taken from the old road? That would allow shadows and compass points to work into it.

Date: 01/09/09 08:13
Author: steamco

First picture is one of the old highway bridges now exposed from under Shasta Lake. Second picture is the new line RR bridge crossing, part of the tunnel old line tunnel portal can be seen in photo's left side. If you live in the area, these old concrete structures are worth exploring, once covered by water again, it may be years before these concrete features are seen again.

Date: 01/09/09 09:20

steamco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> First picture is one of the old highway bridges
> now exposed from under Shasta Lake.
Nice photos niegbor. Wish I had more "Hang Time" in town to do more exploration trips. The area in my photos looked unfamilar to me. Also wondering if that line may be the short line that ran along the Pit River? The other photos in this batch were Lamoine, Craigs and Weed. Wondere what the old 99 was like to drive in 1921!

Date: 01/09/09 10:36

jdb has done extensive posts on the shortline under the I-5 Pit River Bridge. Also the 'Turntable Bay' phrase.
> -----
.... Also wondering
> if that line may be the short line that ran along
> the Pit River?

There is a series of small books on the old hiway 99, not really much info in it though. It does show Southern Oregon fairly well. It's a two or three book series and highlights different parts of the route. I bought my set through Amazon but it would be nice to see it locally. There's a few 'Road Geekery' sites on the web, but once again it's tough to find stuff in the Canyon. My family drove 99 quite a few times before I-5 in the mid-60's, I distinctly remember a number of locations, but not the 'towns'. The Trains and Rocks thing started pretty early.

Date: 01/09/09 16:55
Author: SP3201

Where EXACTLY is the first small bridge. I havent been there yet. Is that on Obrien Inlet or Salt Creek Inlet?. From old maps I have it looks like there was another tunnel up river beyond the much
photoed tunnel by about 1.5-2 miles. It may be all under silt by now but inquiring minds want to know.
Me hopes another dry year in Shasta territory so I can go exploring next October.

Date: 01/09/09 17:14

SP3201 Wrote:
> Where EXACTLY is the first small bridge.
That's the $64,000 dollar question.
I think its under the lake. Not sure...
I've yet to see a good Map that shows the railroad AND Hwy 99 in the lake Shasta area before the Dam. The photo with the RR bridge looks to be were two rivers join? The Pit and Sacramento rivers maybe? Signors book has a Map of the RR route, but no Highway.

Date: 01/09/09 18:44
Re: 99 under Shasta Lake?
Author: timz

99 did cross the Pit River on a concrete
bridge just above the Sacramento-- so
maybe the caption is wrong. 99 didn't
follow the river northward from Redding,
and as I recall it was east of the
Sacramento all the way from the Redding
bridge to somewhere north of the
aforementioned Pit River bridge.

Date: 01/09/09 20:15
Author: timz

I remembered wrong-- 99 crossed the
Pit River maybe three miles up from
the Sacramento, just below the McCloud--
so, not too far from the present
Pit River bridge. The highway then
followed the McCloud River for a mile
or three before turning NWward over
the ridge to join the Sacramento.
99 crossed the Sacramento above
Redding, then at Antler, then above
Dunsmuir-- no others in the area.

The Pit River bridge was a concrete arch
and no doubt is the one in the pic.

Signor's book tells about the RR that
ran along the Pit River under the 99
bridge.

Date: 01/10/09 08:53
Author: jdb

Dave, your first picture is Highway 99 (or the Pacific Highway) crossing the Pitt. Second picture is looking upstream. The Pitt goes to the right and the McCloud goes to the left. The Sacramento Valley and Eastern is the railroad bridge crossing the McCloud. It will then go on up the Pitt to Bully Hill (sp).

jb

Date: 01/10/09 10:01

jdb Wrote:
> Dave, your first picture is Highway 99 (or the
> Pacific Highway) crossing the Pitt. Second
> picture is looking upstream. The Pitt goes to the
> right and the McCloud goes to the left. The
> Sacramento Valley and Eastern is the railroad
> bridge crossing the McCloud. It will then go on
> up the Pitt to Bully Hill (sp).
>
> jb

So, all the water in picture #2 goes under the bridge in picture #1?

I guess the prominent rock formation that we see from I-5 today is just left of center of photo #2 behind the hill and trees? I think it's called Grey Rock, it has an interesting sparkle at sunset.

Date: 01/10/09 10:41
Author: jdb

TCnR Wrote:

> So, all the water in picture #2 goes under the
> bridge in picture #1?
>
Yup. And the road to the left edge of the bridge is 99 going up the McCloud River. 99 went up the McCloud about a mile and a half from here, then turned up the gulley that is right below the present I-5 rest area. I can't get good detail of the #1 photo on my laptop but that grade at the left end of the 99 bridge should be the SV&E.

If the second pic is taken from the 99 bridge, the present Pitt River railroad/highway bridge is about the same distance behind the photographer as the SV&E bridge is upstream.

The visitors center at the dam has some great photos showing the 99 bridge and the new Pitt River bridge under construction in the background.

The maps I am working from are hanging in a rack to the left of the front door at the Historical Society in Redding. The survey was 1934 and they were printed in 1936.

jb

Date: 07/29/14 13:46
Author: Watt-man

SP3201 wrote: "Where EXACTLY is the first small bridge"

That first bridge photo in Steamco's January 9 2009 posting is the original 1917 crossing of Doney Creek, up by Lakehead. It comes out of the water pretty frequently. Here is a Satellite shot from early 2014.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/14 13:49 by Watt-man.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0693 seconds