Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Nostalgia & History > 1988 NRHS convention & 765

Date: 03/17/09 08:13
1988 NRHS convention & 765
Author: m1bprr

Anyone remember the infamous 1988 NRHS convention with the NKP 765's venture to the northeast? Things went downhill on that one.
Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 03/17/09 08:15
Re: 1988 NRHS convention & 765

Ed K.

Date: 03/17/09 08:43
Author: Dizzle1082

Wait wait...how did things go downhill from there?

Date: 03/17/09 09:57
Author: dschlegel

My dad worked on the BM&R back then as a Brakeman then Conductor (don't know what year he became a conductor). If I recall, while positioning the 765 in Temple, PA to take on coal at the retaining wall north of the station, the clearances were too tight and there was some damage done to the tender. Beyond that mishap I don't recall what the other unfortunate occurances were, but I do remember walking up the S&L branch to take a shot of the 765 crossing the bridge over the then Road to Nowhere, now US 222.

Date: 03/17/09 10:48

Dizzle1082 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wait wait...how did things go downhill from there?

The train hauled by 765 was very late getting to PA. So bus connections to Harrisburg for conventioneer's who came by train to this event were missed, 765 got back to NJ. very late.
Ed K.

Date: 03/17/09 12:04
Author: firefighter25dfd

Love the night shots!

Date: 03/17/09 12:44
Author: njmidland

Dizzle1082 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wait wait...how did things go downhill from there?

Half of the attendees never got their tickets - trips canceled at the last minute. Because a number of trips were cancelled the schedule was juggled causing people to have the schedules changed (with no advance notice) and conflicts where they didn't get back from one event in time to get on the next. At one point on the day before the official activities started there were several hundred people in line in the hotel with trip problems that led to a near riot (the A/C was not keeping up and it must have been near 100 degrees in the hallway. Every trip ran late. Every trip had 2 times the number of 1st class passengers as there were 1st class seats - there were some rather ugly "downgrades" executed. The Reading Circle trip featured the infamous "Pennsylvania Dutch Lunch" (served around 4pm) that shows how desperate people will eat anything (did I mention 20 seats for 300 people?). The trip on the NYS&W featured a grade crossing collision with a Euclid truck that bashed in the front of the weeks old B40-8. Cars running out of water. The speaker at the banquet mumbled a few words for about 2 minutes and then walked away. And the grand finale was the "Readingburg" trip, so named because it was so late the decision was made to cancel the trip at Reading rather than go to Harrisburg as advertised and turn back to N.J. Problem was that about 20 people were counting on getting to Harrisburg to connect to the westbound Broadway Limited (as had been promoted ahead of time). After an initial "we reserve the right to alter equipment and destinations" someone came forward and paid for a bunch of taxi cabs to take those unfortunate souls on to Harrisburg.

There were several "dreamers" who were running the convention. They are all gone now (deceased) and the Tri-State Chapter has long since recovered from a disaster that nearly destroyed it.

Date: 03/17/09 13:14

Thanks for all the facts, I had forgotten all that happend back then, we spent most of the time chasing 765 NJ. to PA. and return.
Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 03/17/09 13:21
Author: co614

In addition to nearly destroying the histerical society chapter it nearly destroyed mainline steam forever in that part of the world.

When we approached NJTransit in 1995 to set-up the 614 Hoboken-Pt.Jervis program we met HUGE resistance from the operating officials who had sufferred through this nightmare. It took a LOT of assurrances AND political clout to overcome the legacy of the 1988 "disaster".

Thankfully the 614 performed splendidly and our planning was spot on resulting in a 24 trip program that ran 97.6% on time,carried 24,765 pssgrs. and had no reportable injuries.

Ross Rowland

Date: 03/17/09 20:09
Author: kennbritt

Ross,

All too often many take the things you do for granted. Thank you for what you have done for decades bringing big steam to the masses.

Ken Britton
Bedford, TX

Date: 05/04/09 09:42
Author: yankee15

Ross, I think that the repairs that you and your crew did to the engine at Campbell Hall were nothing short of heroic.

Having the engine back in operating condition for the following day's trip was an incredible testament to the rugged, can-do attitude that made this the greatest nation on Earth.

Date: 02/13/11 23:34
Author: rwk

I wish NS would permit some mainline steam trips in the northeast, especially since they're bringing back steam themselves this year through TVRM. Bennett Levin's PRR E8 trainset has been permitted on NS several times. All it takes is someone like Ross who can convince NS, especially Wick Moorman, to allow some steam excursions on NS mainlines again in the northeast (PA, NJ, NY). But, where would a suitable locomotive be found? And one that NS would permit on their tracks. There are only two operating steam locomotives in northeast PA, at Steamtown and Reading and Northern and I doubt NS would allow those two on their tracks and R&N and Steamtown have no interest in running on NS anyway. Plus, NS won't permit friction bearings which is what most steam locomotives and older steel heavyweight open window coaches (like R&N and Steamtown's) have. But, what are they using for their new steam program? Are they going to use roller bearing coaches and are the three steam locomotives being fitted with roller bearings to be NS compliant?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0999 seconds