Home Open Account Help 210 users online

Nostalgia & History > Centennial Cockpit

Date: 03/30/09 03:00
Centennial Cockpit
Author: butchc

Took this one at the UP's wonderful park in North Platte, NE. This park is a must for the train-lover. The park also has a UP Challenger among it's consist.

The Centennial DDA40X is the largest diesel locomotive built, and is just shy of 100' in length -- huge.

Date: 03/30/09 03:20
Re: Centennial Cockpit
Author: wabash2800

They allow a visit in the cab? Awesome. The same for the steam loco?

Date: 03/30/09 06:20
Author: Super_C

Here is a shot at 80 mph in the cab of UP 6936. This was posted on Trainorders a couple of years ago, but because the topic is fresh again....take a look. Added an external shot taken earlier the same day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/09 11:49 by Super_C.

Date: 03/30/09 07:19
Author: zephyrus

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They allow a visit in the cab? Awesome. The same
> for the steam loco?

There are only a couple places you can regularly get into the cab of a Centennial.

IIRC, North Platte allows folks into the cab.

The 6946 cab in Portola is open whenever the museum is open.

Not sure about any others.

Z

Date: 03/30/09 15:49
Author: imrl

Looks good enough for service!

Date: 03/30/09 16:07
Author: PRose

Caught the "Wimmer Special" a few years back from Salina to Topeka with the 6936 and the first thing I noticed was two amp meters instead of one.
Hadn't seen that in thirty some years (early 70s) when the I last ran a dual engined loco; i.e. a U50.

Bob Helling
PRose

Date: 03/30/09 16:32
Author: eashock

I guess they have two seperate dynamic brake systems??? At least that is what it appears from the guages - the two gauges on the right both appear to monitor the dynamics.

-Eric

Date: 03/30/09 16:58
Author: Bob3985

Hey Bob;
I only ever got to hostle the "Big" GE's in Cheyenne. But I ran thousands of mile behind the two amp meters on the DD40's on mail trains regularly. It always was a pleasure to get called out of North Platte with 2 DD40s and a Fast 40-2 for power on 35 cars of trailers.
Most I ever had on one train was eastbound OME once with 4 DD40's and 2 Fast 40's and 17 cars of trailers. I think I lost my hat that trip.
Bob Krieger
Retired UP
Cheyenne

Date: 03/30/09 18:34
Author: UPNW2-1083

zephyrus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wabash2800 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > They allow a visit in the cab? Awesome. The
> same
> > for the steam loco?
>
>
> There are only a couple places you can regularly
> get into the cab of a Centennial.
>
> IIRC, North Platte allows folks into the cab.
>
> The 6946 cab in Portola is open whenever the
> museum is open.
>
> Not sure about any others.
>
> Z
Don't forget the 6915 at the Los Angeles County Fair in Pomona (Ca.). They even connect it to air so visitors can blow the horn.-BMT

Date: 03/30/09 21:58
Author: SPGP9

The two gauges mentioned measure both power and dynamic braking. There is one gauge for each engine. The double-D's, as you know, were basically two locomotives on a single frame. The control signals went to both engines so only one throttle handle, or dynamic brake handle, was needed.
Neat locomotives but they were a pain to cellar-pack. The idea was to apply enough traction motor gear grease so the power could run straight through to where it was headed without an intermediate lube. This meant putting the bags into the bottom and top gear case cap openings. I got to do it a lot because of being one of the few men small enough to do this. Even then, I would remove my hard hat to have room. (And anybody who has gotten "Crater Compound" in their hair knows what a joy that is). - Tom Dial UPRR-Ret.

(I have to edit because I don't know how to spell).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/09 22:03 by SPGP9.

Date: 03/30/09 22:13
Author: UPNW2-1083

Boy, Tom, it's hard enough trying to get them off your boots. I can only imagine trying to get that gunk out of your hair. Well at least you don't have to do that any more.-BMT

Date: 03/31/09 22:19
Author: SPGP9

Brian, that's for sure. That's for dang sure.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0722 seconds