Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Nostalgia & History > Here's half of the equation

Date: 09/05/09 05:13
Here's half of the equation
Author: xtra1188w

Steam locomotives generally couldn't run very far without their tenders, and tenders look weird sitting around without their locomotives in front of them. This tender looked like its locomotive was just being shopped or something, however in 1976 when this image was taken from a vestibule on an Amtrak train it's likely that its locomotive had already been converted into rebar or something, but then again several years after this picture was taken SP&S #600 or 700 was going to be resurrected. ( Senior moment just happened, was it #600 or #700? )

Con

Date: 09/05/09 06:04
Re: Here's half of the equation
Author: SilverSky

Silver Sky

Date: 09/05/09 06:44
Author: LoggerHogger

#700 was still in the park in 1976 with her tender. This is tender off a companion SP&S engine.
I assume this spare tender is the spare "water bottle" that the 700 Crew uses behind the 700 today.

Martin

Date: 09/05/09 07:39
Author: nomosantafe

LoggerHogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> #700 was still in the park in 1976 with her
> tender. This is tender off a companion SP&S
> engine.
> I assume this spare tender is the spare "water
> bottle" that the 700 Crew uses behind the 700
> today.
>
> Martin

It's the same one.

Nomo

Date: 09/05/09 09:03
Author: up833

But this tender, as shown, had an important use. It was part of the fire train stationed in Vancouver WA for protection of the Columbia River rail bridge. Another tank is partially shown. When the asphalt terminal was expanded the siding and fire train went away. This location was right across the platform to the SW of the Amtrak depot. I wonder if anyone has a photo of the complete outfit?
Roger Beckett

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/09 09:06 by up833.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0293 seconds