Home Open Account Help 170 users online

Nostalgia & History > "Country Roads Take Me Home"

Date: 09/24/09 21:51
"Country Roads Take Me Home"
Author: africansteam

In a classic rural scene out of the great southwest, albeit in Mexico, former Nickel Plate 2-8-2 number 2220 and N de M 2-8-0 number 1571 follow a sweeping "S" curve of two lane blacktop near Zacatecas, Mexico in the 1960's.

From the camera of the late John Hungerford - Tom Moungovan collection.

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 09/24/09 22:20
Re: "Country Roads Take Me Home"
Author: ATSF100WEST

Just put me in a time machine, Jack. That is one beautiful image.

Thanks for sharing it,

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 09/24/09 22:46
Author: SCAX3401

There is nothing that really says Mexico about this photo, without knowing it could be anywhere in the Southwestern in the 1930-1950 time frame. A time machine shot indeed.

Date: 09/24/09 23:32
Author: funnelfan

Awesome image!!!!

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 09/25/09 00:14
Author: DNRY122

I have often thought that if someone could develop a "for real" Atavachron (time travel device used in a Star Trek episode--"All Our Yesterdays"?) there would be railfans lined up around the block, wanting to go back to previous eras of railroading and transit. Sign me up for Los Angeles 1925 and some all-day passes on the Pacific Electric! New York Central fans would be able to see their beloved "Art Deco" Hudsons again. SP enthusiasts could watch cab-forwards fighting their way up Donner Pass. And "it's all crap now" would disappear from foamers' vocabularies.

Date: 09/25/09 11:55
Author: the_expediter

John W. Vickers who passed away in the 1980's had many slides of steam in Mexico. I think his collection was donated to a museum in Houston. Perhaps someday his collection will be found and some of his shots posted.- Steve in San Diego

Date: 09/25/09 15:32
Author: SBC_1344

I was just there two weeks ago...

In Zacatecas, I would change an ES44AC for one of those 2-8-0 anytime!

Date: 09/25/09 19:55
Author: nycman

Jack, if you have the loco numbers, there must be more photos from the same day. Do you have them, and will you share them?

Date: 09/25/09 22:15
Author: africansteam

nycman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jack, if you have the loco numbers, there must be
> more photos from the same day. Do you have them,
> and will you share them?

Tom is checking his collection for additional views. I will post what ever he finds. It may be a few days as he will have to mail them to me.

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 09/27/09 07:01
Author: SilverSky

the_expediter Wrote:
> John W. Vickers who passed away in the 1980's had
> many slides of steam in Mexico. I think his
> collection was donated to a museum in Houston.
> Perhaps someday his collection will be found and
> some of his shots posted.- Steve in San Diego

John had some wonderful slides, 8mm and Super 8 movies of Mexican steam. I was fortunate to make a trip down there in August 1966 with him to see the narrow gauge 2-8-0s and the remaining 4-8-4s. I know Greg Scholl and his family made one or two trips down there with John also. If only he had lived to have seen the internet and the wealth of information available at our finger tips. I, too, had heard that his collection went to a group in that area. Was it the Gulf Coast Chapter of the NRHS and can anyone comfirm of deny this? Thanks.

Silver Sky

Date: 09/29/09 16:14
Author: scottp

BNSF6400 Wrote:
> There is nothing that really says Mexico about
> this photo, without knowing it could be anywhere
> in the Southwestern in the 1930-1950 time frame.
> A time machine shot indeed.
----------------------
Classic Trains had some late Mexico steam recently. One or more of the Mexican roads used orange on (smallish) box cars. From a distance, when the paint is fresh, they look like reefers. When they're weathered, they look like B&O M-26 or PRR X29 box cars.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0466 seconds