Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Nostalgia & History > San Bernardino Roundhouse March 1974

Date: 01/06/10 20:18
San Bernardino Roundhouse March 1974
Author: atsffan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/15 17:12 by atsffan.

Date: 01/06/10 21:02
Re: San Bernardino Roundhouse March 1974
Author: SuperC

Scan, scan, scan all you can! I was 8 years old at that time and drove by there every time we went to Grandma's house on Baseline St.

Adam

Date: 01/06/10 22:14
Author: tracktime

Good stuff. I look forward to more of your slide scans. The more the merrier.

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 01/06/10 22:17
Author: railstiesballast

I like the atmospheric sense of that overcast day.
You are documenting the world as it was, not how you wish it was.

Date: 01/06/10 23:57
Author: DNRY122

The corrugated metal building on the upper right is the former firebrick shed, which had become the Radio Shop. This is where I was the night radio tech during 1969-70. The "Alligators" were coming to the end of their days, and the RSD-5's were long gone by 1974. The night shop supervisor came over to visit the shop every now and then, and once commented on my interest in Alco diesels: (something like) "They're junk! We ought to scrap every one of them. If you had to keep 'em running, you'd be all-EMD." Another time I had stopped to chat with a junior shop employee, who was cleaning up trash along the access road. He was going to complain to his union steward about being stuck with this menial task. When I mentioned this to the supervisor later that evening, he told me "Mr. (so-and-so) won't get very far. His job description says 'and such other work as may be assigned.'"

Date: 01/07/10 03:34
Author: Evan_Werkema

Speaking of radio, RSD-15 9844 was one of the first Santa Fe units fitted with RCE master gear for controlling mid-train helpers on the York Canyon-Fontana coal trains. I don't see the pair of antennas on the roof in this photo, and I suspect the gear had been pulled by 1974.

Date: 01/07/10 16:36
Author: trainjunkie

Wow...really cool! I was only 10 years old in 1974 and my first trip to San Bernardino to watch trains wasn't until 4 years later. Looks like it changed a bit by the time I got there from how it was in 1974.

A 41-mile ride each way? Holy cow! I thought the 20-25 mile rides I used to take as a kid to watch trains were crazy. Try to do that around there today though and you'd either get bike-jacked or run over by one of the locals. Post more when you can!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0421 seconds