Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Nostalgia & History > Bellingham WA Depot ... 1979

Date: 01/08/10 07:53
Bellingham WA Depot ... 1979
Author: spjim

These photos of the ex-GN depot in Bellingham WA were taken on a very cold morning in January 1979. I was waiting for the Amtrak train to Seattle. The first photo is looking toward the depot with the freight house in the background. The second photo shows the depot from the opposite angle. In the third photo a pair of BN GP30s and a caboose are parked on the freight house siding.

Jim Lancaster

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/10 07:54 by spjim.

Date: 01/08/10 09:47
Re: Bellingham WA Depot ... 1979
Author: asheldrake

VERY nice photos, thanks for the posting. Arlen

Date: 01/08/10 10:35
Author: jackpot

Boy that brings back some great (sometimes twisted) memories of College Days at WWU! Nash Hall! Yeah, baby. Those geeps will go north on the Intalco local. . .

Date: 01/08/10 10:50
Author: TAW

Thanks for the time machine trip. I owned 3d trick at Bellingham at the time [11p-7a], but I was also working extra in the dispatching office in Seattle. If I had been there that morning I had probably just left for home. I experienced a lot of cold dreary mornings there that looked just like your photos. The last job of the night was to walk over to the freight house with the orders for the switch engine then jump in the ride and hit the road with the orders and lists for the Intalco Local at Ferndale, dropping them off to the local crew on the way home, 3 blocks from the Ferndale station. The power is the day and night New West Local power. The day crew 830a on duty and the night crew 830p on duty, set up for the day crew to be on duty to see 793 and take off for Intalco. The Bellingham switch engine, a GP 7 or 9 would have been behind the local power on the other side of F Street if they were tied up. It looks like they had already gone up to the north end to start work ahead of 793.

TAW

Date: 01/08/10 22:15
Author: CyberFoamer

Wow, other than the signal it looks a lot like that today.

Casey

Date: 01/08/10 22:36
Author: CyberFoamer

Here is a similar view in the late '90s.

Casey

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0415 seconds