Home Open Account Help 175 users online

Nostalgia & History > The GG1

Date: 01/27/10 19:28
The GG1
Author: ns2557

Whiile reading the thread from earlier, yesterday I think, about the demise of the MILW Electrics I thought about this operation. It lasted a bit longer and the wires are still energized but this beauty no longer plies the rails. Taken at Harrisburg Pa at the pit just west of the station, is AMT GG1 4930. One of the few that went to Amtrak. Shot in Summer 1977. TFL Ben

Date: 01/27/10 20:43
Re: The GG1
Author: AmtrakHogHead

Believe it or not I actually have 2 (yes 2!!!) GG1 operating manuals! One of them was issued and used and the other (miracle) I got on E-bay for $75.00!!! The one I got on E-bay was never issued!!! I have yet to see one that is unissued with the original isuuance certificate still in it. The book definately belongs in a museum and I have no doubt Strausburg would kill to have it. Being that I've seen used ones go for up to $700 on E-bay I can only imagine what the un-issued book would have brought in if it had been listed correctly. It was listed as an electrical book! If I had to guess I would say someone would pay a grand for it. By far my best purchase on E-bay. As for electic traction histoy, I do have an original Aem-7 reverser (from sweeden) that was given to my father by the rep. that accompanied the test unit from sweeden!

Anyone want to speculate on the cost?? Of the book that is. But, speculation welcome on the reverser also.

Out of curiousity. Has anyone on here ever even seen an original reverser for an Aem-7? NO, they are not the red sheet metal cut ones found on them today!

Date: 01/28/10 10:23
Author: kato

If it's such a find, why not do the classy thing and donate or lend it long-term to the museum?

Date: 01/28/10 11:06
Author: DNRY122

At the very least, I would suggest that your will should include this book specifically, and that if no one in your family wants it, it be given to the museum. (When making or modifying a will, disposition of a collection should be mentioned to one's attorney.) This recommendation goes for everyone who has gathered railroad relics over the years. There are "horror stories" about priceless collections, not just in railroadiana, but rare phonograph records that wound up in the city dump after the collector passed away. I hope this doesn't sound too morbid, but sooner or later we will all ride "Life's Railway to Heaven".

Date: 01/28/10 18:48
Author: AmtrakHogHead

kato Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If it's such a find, why not do the classy thing
> and donate or lend it long-term to the museum?

I would prefer to keep it for myself. I have put certain things on loan to a local railroad museum before. When I had some of my things on loan it did make me feel good to know that the few people who went into it got to see things they may not see again or possibly had only seen once before or only heard of.

As far as my book goes, like I said. I prefer to keep it under lock and key to myself. I know it would be appreciated at a museum. Yet to me half the fun of having something like that is being able to hold it in my hands.

Since I dont believe I will ever have kids, yes, I will make certain either someone who will care for it the way I do recieves it or Starusburg will get it. Until then, I'll enjoy it for myself and sharing it with close friends that appreciate it also. IC_2024 has gotten to see it. I almost had to give him something to wipe the drewl from his mouth while he was holding it and flipping through the pages. Quite honestly, little moments like that make me feel better than knowing that someone is only getting to look at it through glass. And besides, I waited a long long time to get a GG1 manual. I just never thought I would get one like the one I did!

Date: 01/28/10 23:57
Author: DNRY122

Point taken. Not quite like a Gutenberg Bible, but similar in that they aren't printing any new ones.

Date: 01/29/10 11:12
Author: filmteknik

Why not scan it and post it as .pdf files? (Unless it's already available somewhere.) That way everyone can enjoy it and you can keep possession of it. It's not the same as having it in your hands but if someone simply wants to read and soak up the knowledge that's a way. As someone interested in film technology I enjoy reading the materials that Marty Hart has posted on http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/index.htm And lots of locomotive manuals are already available here: http://gelwood.railfan.net/manual/manual.html

Date: 02/01/10 03:19
Author: rustyrail

Yo right on "collectors" will be the death of RR history. SHARE them or donate them Its always about the $$$

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0508 seconds