Home Open Account Help 273 users online

Nostalgia & History > ATSF depot at Lehigh, KS, in 1968

Date: 03/21/10 07:36
ATSF depot at Lehigh, KS, in 1968
Author: JoCoLB

Attached is a picture of the former Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway depot that stood in the small town of Lehigh, KS, in Marion County, about 40 miles north of Wichita. Lehigh was on a branch line that at one time extended northwest/west from Florence to Great Bend, KS, and beyond.

My understanding is that the Lehigh depot, after being abandoned, was sold to an individual, who moved the building to Walton, KS, where he still stands (condition unknown). Information that I have is that the structure is now located on the west side of 1st Avenue between Main and Blaine Streets and is used for storage.

Date: 03/21/10 11:17
Re: ATSF depot at Lehigh, KS, in 1968
Author: DublinDistrict

It was still there when Google Earth Street View photos were made, using 258 Blaine St and panning left.

Date: 03/21/10 22:54
Re: ATSF depot at Lehigh, KS, in 1968
Author: Evan_Werkema

Lehigh is perhaps the only surviving example of that early style bay window on a Santa Fe depot, the kind with four 8-pane windows and a separate roof tucked under the main roofline. There used to be quite a few along 1870's vintage main and branch lines in Kansas and Colorado (see Conway, KS in a recent thread for another example) but so far as I know, the relocated Lehigh depot is only one left. Like Conway, it was probably built with board-and-batten siding and later rebuilt with clapboard.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0326 seconds