Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Nostalgia & History > Around Los Nietos..

Date: 04/02/10 13:23
Around Los Nietos..
Author: AJnCorrie

Probably around 1987...

GP9's switching around in the yard...

Date: 04/02/10 13:25
Re: Around Los Nietos..

A pair of SW1500's head towards Whittier as a West bound Santa Fe approaches Pioneer Blvd and DT JCT

Another westbond Santa Fe having just crossed over the diamond at DT JCT and over the river bed heads into Pico Rivera

Date: 04/02/10 15:23
Author: colehour

Thanks for the photos and the memories. I lived in Norwalk from 1982-2001 and checked out the action in and around Los Nietos many times. There used to be a team track located near Norwalk Blvd. and I recall seeing them loading frozen chickens into a boxcar at around the time your photos were taken. Also at that time the SP's Whittier Branch (ex-PE), just a few blocks east of Los Nietos, was still in service. It's long gone and they've built houses on the ROW.

If memory serves, I believe that there was an operator at Los Nietos at the time. I seem to remember hearing transmissions from Los Nietos on my scanner.

Date: 04/03/10 06:26
Author: Evan_Werkema

AJnCorrie Wrote:

> Probably around 1987...

The second unit on the Santa Fe train, rebuilt SD45-2 5868, was released from the shops in March 1988. C30-7 8079 was turned back to GE in 1990, so that narrows the time frame a bit. The SPSF-painted cowl unit barely visible in the background of the third shot also places the date before the end of 1990.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/10 07:42 by Evan_Werkema.

Date: 04/03/10 09:39
Author: CraigM111

Great photos! Thanks for posting!

Craig Martyn
BLMA Models
Whittier, CA

Date: 04/04/10 12:31
Author: ButteStBrakeman

Thanks for posting these AJ. It has been a lot of years since I worked LNS and it sure has changed. All of the buildings in your photos weren't there in the days I worked out of there. The only industry served right in the yard was at the bottom of the yard, which if I remember correctly, was a steel plant of some kind.

V

SLOCONDR

Date: 04/04/10 18:57

I believe you are correct about the steel industry...I remember there was nothing there between the yard and Norwalk Blvd but farm land, and an old spooky looking house. This was in the mid 70's. I guess these industries started popping up in the early 80's.

Date: 04/05/10 08:20
Author: ButteStBrakeman

AJnCorrie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe you are correct about the steel
> industry...I remember there was nothing there
> between the yard and Norwalk Blvd but farm land,
> and an old spooky looking house. This was in the
> mid 70's. I guess these industries started
> popping up in the early 80's.

I remember that house. And it WAS spooky alright...

V

SLOCONDR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1486 seconds