Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Nostalgia & History > Triangle Sandwich Shop SF

Date: 01/16/11 21:46
Triangle Sandwich Shop SF
Author: dmaffei

SP FM switcher 2356 is pulling cars from the Santa Fe interchange yard in 1974 at 3rd and 16th St in San Francisco. Was hoping one of the old SF dudes (Photobob, TonyJ. or...) could tell us more about the steel flyover bridge above the train. It was a two lane road at the time. Was it for shipyard access or? Thanks for any info.

Date: 01/16/11 23:35
Re: Triangle Sandwich Shop SF
Author: danf

Haven't seen many photos of that bridge. Thanks for posting that!

Date: 01/17/11 07:47
Author: TonyJ

Thanks for sharing the photo of the FM and the Triangle Sandwich Shop. There were several of these greasy spoons that served meals to the local workforce. All are long gone.

The old Third Street flyover was constucted to allow vehicle traffic on Third Street a way over the SP tracks that lead to the interchange with the Santa Fe, as well as to their own customers. Freight business in this area of San Francisco was very many decades ago, and so was traffic on Third Street. It didn't take but a minute or two for a SP transfer run to tie up traffic. At one point in time there were streetcar tracks on the structure too. I can't remember exactly when it was torn down, but I suspect sometime in the late 1960s. Here's a thread that shows the overpass from different angles.

Tony J.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,1828007,1829409#msg-1829409

Date: 01/17/11 11:38
Author: TCnR

The flyover was something that I'd heard about but had never seen before. Checking with HistoricAerial's older photos the bridge can be seen, but not really understood. That real-high (technical term) walkway over to the shipyards can be seen as well, mostly the shadow.

My folks were in SF in the mid-50's, just when they left a bunch of other relatives arrived. When we returned I remember one of those 'hey what happened to...' conversations while driving the just opened 280 freeway.

Wow... didn't catch it was there in 1974. That's almost the 'Streets of San Francisco' era.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/11 12:57 by TCnR.

Date: 01/17/11 12:28
Author: swsf

Those bridge supports sure look flimsy. They appear as if they can barely support the bridge itself, much less any traffic crossing over it.

Date: 01/17/11 13:05
Author: RD10747

Could you get a 'square meal' from the sandwich shop??...

Date: 01/17/11 14:17
Author: agentatascadero

Agt-Highland Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could you get a 'square meal' from the sandwich
> shop??...

I would think they sell "by the slice." AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 01/17/11 18:57
Author: TonyJ

Agt-Highland Wrote:
> shop??...

Great line!
Tony J.

Date: 01/17/11 21:05
Author: calhog

Thanks for posting. Had many coffees at the Triangle when working a Mission Bay yard job back in the 70s.

Date: 01/17/11 21:34
Author: Westbound

That was one of the last where I wanted to eat in SF. Place was OK but the cook knew less than I do about seasoning food. But if you were an SP employee it was certainly convenient. In the City, you could find wonderful sandwich shops reasonably priced downtown, but the price of parking was atrocious. At the Triangle, parking was not only available, it was free.

Agt-Highland Wrote:
> shop??...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds