Home Open Account Help 164 users online

Nostalgia & History > Question about cleaning plexi windows.

Date: 05/16/11 22:00
Question about cleaning plexi windows.
Author: unclebob

I'm not sure where to ask this:

Has anyone had any luck on refurbishing the thick plexiglass windows found on equipment? We have a caboose and the windows are almost gray and impossible to see through.

I have tried headlight lens cleaner on a small area, and all this did was shine the window, it did not improve the visibility. I would hate to think what it would cost to replace these window panes.

Thanks
Mike

Date: 05/16/11 23:38
Re: Question about cleaning plexi windows.
Author: ATSF100WEST

Better plexi shops should have just what you need, unless it is sand/dust etched, that would require a s**tload more work in polishing and clearing up. We used to have a decoartive fountain that was plexi - and it was a pain to maintain.

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 05/16/11 23:58
Author: GenePoon

Polishing the plexiglass usually doesn't do much good, as the deterioration is throughout the thickness of the plastic.

Date: 05/17/11 00:50
Author: lwilton

You used to be able to get McGuiar's Mirror Glaze plastic polish at car parts stores, and stores catering to the general aviation crowd. Was typically used for keeping the cockpit window clear on light planes, or polishing plastic windwings and rear windows on sportscars.

As long as it is surface problems, this stuff (and one heck of a lot of elbow grease) will usually do the job. If the plastic molecules are becoming unlinked then it is an internal problem, and the only solution is to replace the plastic. (When you do that, be VERY sure to get all the old plastic bits removed before replacing the piece. One bit of old "corroded" plastic in contact with the new stuff can start it unlinking almost instantly, and your new expensive window will be useless in a couple of years.)

Date: 05/17/11 08:46
Author: garrett

In the words of a private car owner (who is on this board):

"Polycarbonate windows last five to ten years, depending on sun exposure.

Glass lasts exactly one rock."

Date: 05/17/11 16:23
Author: wingomann

Sure glass only lasts as long as one rock. But it's a calculated risk. We replaced the windows on a caboose with laminated safety glass over ten years ago. They are still fine. If we had done plexi we may be dealing with fogging or be thinking about replacing them by now. At the time the cost of laminated safety glass wasn't much more than plexi. Seems to me that it depends where you are operating and if you can get a waver on FRA safety glazing should be the deciding factor.

Interesting info on cleaning plexi. Looks like some windows we have on some of our other equipment is toast.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0408 seconds