Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Nostalgia & History > Where were you in October of 1966?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 06/16/11 16:15
Where were you in October of 1966?
Author: SuperC

The Monkees and Star Trek were enjoying their first season's on prime time TV and I was a nine-month old rug-rat living in San Bernardino. Since I was too young, I'm glad Tom Gildersleeve was able to capture Santa Fe's train #7 the Fast Mail Express zooming through Hesperia, Ca. as it climbed the east side of Cajon Pass on a fine October afternoon in 1966.

Adam

Date: 06/16/11 16:22
Re: Where were you in October of 1966?
Author: whistlepig

What an incredibly classic picture. Thank you for posting it.

Date: 06/16/11 16:30
Author: bakersfielddave

well i was watching Star Trek and Lost in Space after school

here are some old timetables approximate for the era i have for this train's progress across Southern California
los angeles to san bernadino eb and wb

Date: 06/16/11 16:31

San bernadino Barstow

Date: 06/16/11 16:32

Barstow Needles

Date: 06/16/11 16:34

SuperC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Monkees and Star Trek were enjoying their
> first season's on prime time TV and I was a
> nine-month old rug-rat living in San Bernardino.
> Since I was too young, I'm glad Tom Gildersleeve
> was able to capture Santa Fe's train #7 the Fast
> Mail Express zooming through Hesperia, Ca. as it
> climbed the east side of Cajon Pass on a fine
> October afternoon in 1966.
>
> Adam

that should be about ten to four in the afternoon if on time

Date: 06/16/11 16:47
Author: scottp

Willie Davis made three errors in one inning as the Dodgers lost the Series 4-0 to Baltimore. I was barely aware of baseball at the time, but I remember a game was just about to start on TV when my mom came and got me to go to a doctor's appointment. I would have been in school that day, if I hadn't been sick.
On the way to the doctor's office, we had to cross the 3rd District at Santa Fe Springs (east) although we called it La Mirada...

Date: 06/16/11 17:34
Author: rcall31060

I was a Junior in college, back east. I well remember that World Series. I forget which game it was, but the Dodgers chased Baltimore's starter, Dave McNally, fairly early in the game. The Oriole's manager, Earl Weaver, brought in a reliever by the name of Moe Drabowsky, who proceeded to pitch one of the GREATEST games in relief that I have ever seen. In his first two innings of relief, he struck out six-in-a-row. That tied a World Series record at the time. Drabowsky completely shut down the Dodgers and went on to win the game The Orioles went on to win the Series and the rest, as they say, is history. THAT was the most incredible relief pitching performance, that I have ever witnessed, then or now (especially since I was rooting for Baltimore).

Love the shot of the Santa Fe PA's, BTW. Would that we could see sights like that today.

Bob Callahan
Monticello, IN

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/11 10:45 by rcall31060.

Date: 06/16/11 17:51
Author: qnyla

Classic scene.

I was celebrating my third birthday.

Date: 06/16/11 17:52
Author: photobob

SPC4 Morris on assignment for the Department of Photographic Office Panama shooting a film in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. Thats a 35MM Arriflex Camera October 1966.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/11 17:54 by photobob.

Date: 06/16/11 17:56
Author: santafe199

With all due apologies to Alco fans, I think the Warbonnet PAs looked their classiest on 7 & 8...

Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 06/16/11 18:09
Author: rehunn

e pluribus funk!! Mail trains were so cool just because of the diverse consists
and in the custody of a set of PA's, damn!

Date: 06/16/11 18:31
Author: engine3420

Making little Titanium parts at Lockheed for the SR71....I think.

Date: 06/16/11 18:43
Author: Supertouring

My mom was changing my diapers

Date: 06/16/11 19:02
Author: bnsfbob

We rode Santa Fe's Chief that previous summer but in October I was back in school.

My dad and I were bored one night watching TV. We stumbled upon Star Trek and were instantly hooked. The was no publicity or hoopla when it first came out. I don't think that any network types thought it was going to last.

We bought our first color TV in '66. It was a 19 inch Magnavox. 100% tubes. It cost $550.00 which was two weeks pay for my dad back then! TV sets are one of the few items where the price and quality is better in real terms vs. 45 years ago.

In 1966, only about 20% of TV shows were in color. I loved the NBC Peacock..."the following show is presented to you in living color...".

Star Trek I believe was NBC Thurs nite. Monkees were on Sat AM. I thought then (and still do) that the Monkees hits were less stupid than the early Beatles. Take the 1966 Monkees hit, "The last Train to Clarksville" for example. That is a great song.

Bob

Date: 06/16/11 20:01
Author: railstiesballast

In October '66 I was a new employee of the the SP, working on the Palmdale-Colton cutoff. Watching the mail every day to see what the Selective Service had in mind for me (drafted in December '66) and watching the evening news to guess what the results of my draft notice would be. I thought the SP job was temporary, so if you think 21 years is "temporary", I guess it was.

Not quite October, but on occasion I could afford some film and time to grab a snapshot with a Brownie, here is the Chief near Sullivan's curve, take from the SP grading spread.

Date: 06/16/11 20:17
Author: santafe199

bnsfbob Wrote:

> ......................................... Monkees
> were on Sat AM. I thought then (and still do) that
> the Monkees hits were less stupid than the early
> Beatles...................................
> Bob

The Monkees (Pre-fab 4) had everybody and their brother (and sister) (and Aunts & Uncles) (& family mutt) write their songs FOR them...
I was in the 6th grade when "Last Train to Clarksville" (written by Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart) went #1 in November and "I'm a Believer"
(written by Neil Diamond) went #1 in December.

Date: 06/16/11 20:31
Author: davew833

I was nary a gleam in me mother's eye... parents got married in August '67. I didn't get to be a 'Trek' fan until syndicated reruns in the mid '70s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/11 12:52 by davew833.

Date: 06/16/11 21:01
Author: mopacrr

Sophomore in high school. Taking pictures with a hand me down Argus C 3 and a Kodak Instamatic. 7-8 were my favorite trains and what I would give to see them again. Despite the fact it was the height of the Viet Nam war, and in a couple years I would be facing the draft; it was the best of times. If you would have told me in Oct, 66 that in one year that 7-8 would lose its RPO, and a few weeks later be gone all to gather; I would have never believed it

Date: 06/16/11 21:07
Author: hogantunnel

A beautiful shot from long ago.I was a navy corpsman attending Fleet Marine Force school at USMCB,Camp Pendleton...bound for I Corps and III Marine Division, Viet Nam,"Summer in the City" by the Lovin' Spoonful was on my mind. A very long time and a very different world ago.

Posted from BlackBerry

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0761 seconds