Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Nostalgia & History > North Coast ex SP Daylight passenger cars saved

Date: 11/13/11 19:52
North Coast ex SP Daylight passenger cars saved
Author: CZ20

Southern California private car owner Jon Clark has saved four ex Southern Pacific Daylight cars from being scrapped. The cars have been stranded since 1997 and the rail community had all but given up hope that the cars could be saved. See the attached article for details.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20111110/ARTICLES/111119909/1350?Title=North-Coast-Rail-Authority-sells-historic-rail-cars

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/11 19:53 by CZ20.

Date: 11/13/11 20:57
Re: North Coast ex SP Daylight passenger cars saved
Author: davew833

That's great news!

Date: 11/13/11 23:01
Author: dan

more babies

Date: 11/14/11 10:22
Author: TCnR

Healdsburg and Asti sound like a solid investment, Scotia is pretty chancey and then the second quote explains the part everybody was wondering about.

"The five cars are in Healdsburg, Asti and Scotia, a lumber town south of Eureka."

"Four other cars in Willits didn’t sell at the auction Wednesday. They may be sold for scrap, Stogner said."

Date: 11/14/11 17:23
Author: sp3811

Don't recognize the car pictured in the news article as ever having been Espee. I could be wrong of course,

Bill
sp3811

Date: 11/14/11 17:41
Author: The_Chief_Way

no, the car in the photo is not ex-SP

Date: 11/14/11 18:25
Author: 41

Looks like it may originally be of an east coast rr (N&W ?)

Date: 11/14/11 20:36

I'm thinking ex-GN

Date: 11/14/11 22:02

I just ran across a video of three North Coast ex SP Shasta daylight coaches stored at Scotia. The video definitely shows their Shasta Daylight heritage.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFmg15Stqjk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The video definitely shows the Mendocino, Humbolt, and Sonoma.

The following link shows the cars put up for bid. In addition to the ex SP coaches the ex GN Lake Pepin diner was listed.

http://www.northcoastrailroad.org/Acrobat/Railcars_100311.pdf

All of the cars ran behind the SP 4449 during the Louisiana Worlds Fair Dayliht excursion in 1984 and were stranded in the North Coast in 1997.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/11 22:09 by CZ20.

Date: 11/14/11 23:07
Author: Pullman

CZ20 Wrote:
> The following link shows the cars put up for bid.
> In addition to the ex SP coaches the ex GN Lake
> Pepin diner was listed.
>
> http://www.northcoastrailroad.org/Acrobat/Railcars
> _100311.pdf

Saw the Lake Pepin at Asti in September.

All I can say is, "Rust never sleeps".

Date: 11/15/11 10:54
Author: KeyRouteKen

I don't believe these cars had "anything at all" to do with the former SP Coast or Shasta Daylight trains.. NO WAY !!

These cars were originally part of the Sierra Western fleet and painted green and white.
Actually, they originally were NP colors in the early 80s.

McCloud River used three or four of them in their early 1980's excursions. The SP paint came about as part of the Daylight trip to Louisiana in 1984, and their service on the EUKA came after that.

KRK

Date: 11/15/11 14:48

I believe we are discussing two separate sets of North Coast Passenger cars. The photographs on this thread show the ex GN Lake Pepin. It is my understanding that the new owner purchased the Lake Pepin and three ex SP Shasta cars. The following video definitely shows ex Shasta Daylight coaches Mendocino,Humbolt and Sonoma.

A 2001 North Coast equipment roster listed the following SP passenger cars:
SP 2355, 2358, 2361 ex SP Coast Daylight recycled on Shasta Daylight.
SP 2385, 2392, 2395 built for Shata Daylight.

I have done some research in the Official Pulman-Standard Library Vol. 5 and have determined that cars 2385, 2392 & 2395 were part of a 14 car order from Pulman put in service in June 1949. Pulman Lot 6805 plan 7571A that included 6 vestibule forward and 8 vestibule rear coaches. The Pulman diagrams are a perfect match for the cars shown in the video - the Mendocino, Humbolt and Sonoma.

I also have ridden these cars on the 1984 Lousiana Worlds Fair Daylight. I also can confirm that Dick Reynolds Great Western Tours did operate these cars in green color prior to 1984, but their original owner was definitely SP and they were built for the Shasta Daylight.

Date: 11/15/11 15:45
Author: KeyRouteKen

To continue the debate, what you say might be true, "IF" the Daylight we speak of is Coast, Sacramento or San Joaquin.

The Shasta Daylight cars were created with extra large windows because of the scenery.
Do these cars of yours have extra large windows ?? If so, GREAT! If NOT, you LOSE !!

KRK

Date: 11/15/11 17:31

the Great Western Tours colors were not true to the NP
maybe our T-O friend TopFuel will comment soon on this topic

Date: 11/15/11 18:19

I agree TopFuel would have the definitive answer. I also agree that the Great Western Tours paint scheme used a particularly ugly green color that was not GN.

I still say that the three cars - Mendocino, Humbolt and Sonoma in the video in this thread were Shasta Daylight cars built either in 1949 (plan 1751A) or 1954 plan (1751B) built specifically for the SP Shasta Daylight. The cars in the video definitely have the large Shasta type windows. During the video you can see a scenic wall mural that is a match for the Shasta Daylight.

Review the following video and judge for yourself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/11 18:21 by CZ20.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.049 seconds